Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The 2023 TCM Classic Film Festival: Day Three

Day 3 of the TCM Classic Film Festival on Friday, April 14th, was the first full day of screenings.

In my case I managed to squeeze in five movies -- okay, technically four and a half, as I made a rare move to leave during the day's final movie. I'm finishing OCEAN'S 11 (2001) at home this weekend!


My day began with HARVEY (1950), which I'd not seen since it was on local commercial television when I was a teenager. I enjoyed it, especially the chance to see the delightful Peggy Dow in another of her too-few films.

The movie was introduced by director Joe Dante -- after the "seating" of a very special invisible rabbit in the front row.


While I was at HARVEY my husband saw THE WILD BUNCH (1969) at the Legion Theater, introduced by Eddie Muller. Talk about a contrast in movies!


Next up for me was Bruce Goldstein's special presentation of FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933) in the Chinese Multiplex.


Goldstein, of New York's Film Forum, always gives very informative information on pre-Code censorship and other issues -- he even pointed out a swimmer in the "By a Waterfall" number who started going in the wrong direction!


Then it was right back into the same theater where George Feltenstein of the Warner Archive Collection introduced a "Warner Night at the Movies" presentation of THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE (1941), including a trailer, short, and cartoon. There was also a sing-a-long at movie's end which the audience participated in enthusiastically.  


We all owe Feltenstein a great debt of gratitude for his work restoring and making so many movies available for home viewing.

Next up for me, Eddie Muller introduced THE KILLERS (1946). The opening sequence with William Conrad and Charles McGraw is soooo good.  I was glad to revisit the film for the first time in a decade.


My husband finished the evening seeing the delightful Dana Delany (TOMBSTONE) introducing Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper in BALL OF FIRE (1941).


Meanwhile, I got in line at the "big" Chinese....


...to see George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh introduce OCEAN'S 11 (2001). As I was sitting some distance away my own photos can't do it justice, so here are press photos courtesy of Turner Classic Movies:


Clooney is one of the few "modern-day" actors who could have pulled me away from BALL OF FIRE, MAN'S CASTLE (1933), or seeing Frankie Avalon poolside at a screening of BEACH PARTY (1964).


As I mentioned during my initial festival overview, I made the decision to leave the screening partway through as it got started very late and the sound quality high up in the theater was not the best. It is extremely rare for me to leave a movie partway through but I think it was the best decision, which allowed me to have a good night's sleep before the next busy day.  


Coming soon: Day Four, another five-film day which included a very special screening of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951) in "Bensurround," thanks to the talents of sound effects magician Ben Burtt.


2 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

I'm a bit envious of your hubby getting to see Ball of Fire on the big screen! Love that one, and I would LOVE to see Barbara Stanwyck's sparkly dress on the big screen.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really late to be responding to this, seeing that it's almost a year later. But we were at Harvey and Footlight Parade too! We opted to go poolside to see Beach Party and Frankie Avalon. Though it was a tough decision. My husband and I had a two-person seat by the pool and were seated directly under a heat lamp! We didn't want to leave! LOL.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older