Sunday, April 30, 2023

The 2023 TCM Classic Film Festival: Day Five

All too soon it was the last day of this year's TCM Classic Film Festival!


I had originally thought I would see THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956) and CASABLANCA (1942) on Sunday, but after my experience with the sound quality in the Chinese Theatre Friday night I decided I'd rather be in the more intimate multiplex theatres.


Instead I started off Sunday morning with Ernst Lubitsch's HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943), introduced by Leonard Maltin (top photo). As has happened to me at past festivals, this last-minute choice ended up being one of the most meaningful viewings of the festival; I've seen it many times, but the story about passing through the various stages of life deeply connected with me this time around.


The film was both funny and moving, and the Technicolor print was gorgeous!

Next I chose THE RED SHOES (1948), which I'd last seen at UCLA in 2015.


THE RED SHOES was introduced by Eddie Muller and director-cinematographer Ernest Dickerson. As with HEAVEN CAN WAIT, I responded to THE RED SHOES quite emotionally. Few things ever have been as lovely as Moira Shearer in this film.

After those back-to-back Technicolor screenings, I took a rare break from a viewing slot just to have a little time to absorb and think about the pair of movies I'd just revisited.


I'm very happy to say that though this year's festival had cutbacks, as I noted in a previous post, the shuttle vans from Hollywood and Highland up to the Legion Theater returned this year. They made all the difference in getting "up the hill" to the Legion quickly and conveniently, and I hope they will be a staple of all future festivals.


For my final film of the festival, I enjoyed an "in person" version of TCM's Silent Sunday Nights at the Legion, with Jacqueline Stewart hosting CLASH OF THE WOVES (1925).


CLASH OF THE WOLVES starred Charles Farrell and wonder dog Rin Tin Tin, and it was a great deal of fun. Stewart is seen below with Ben Model, who composed and performed the musical score. The movie, incidentally, will be released on Blu-ray by Kino Lorber in June.


Then it was on to the closing night party, which took place in the Hollywood Roosevelt lobby...


...as well as in Club TCM, where the hardworking hosts relaxed together at a table. It's always a little sad to say goodbye to everyone!


This year's festival was a marvelous event, and I'm looking forward to doing it all again in 2024!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for documenting your time at the event, Laura. I would love to be able to attend this so much.Bet The Red Shoes looked phenomenal on the big screen. Maddy

3:35 AM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, thank you for taking us along with you, by way of your wonderful write-ups and photographs, to the Turner Classic Movies Classic Film Festival of 2023.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older