Saturday, July 15, 2023

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...The Warner Archive Collection has announced its August Blu-ray titles. The half-dozen titles include LITTLE WOMEN (1933), FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND (1951), and WICHITA (1955). The '33 version of LITTLE WOMEN is my favorite. FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND was quite a nice surprise given its public domain status; the print will be from the original camera negative. WICHITA is a memorable spin on the Wyatt Earp legend starring Joel McCrea, directed by Jacques Tourneur.

...Happiest birthday wishes to Nancy Olson, who turned 95 on Friday, July 14th. My photo-filled 2016 birthday tribute may be found here.

..."Coming soon" on Blu-ray from Kino Lorber Studio Classics: The Dark Side of Cinema XVII Collection. It will feature three films starring Edward G. Robinson: VICE SQUAD (1953), BLACK TUESDAY (1954), and NIGHTMARE (1956). The supporting casts include Paulette Goddard, Jean Parker, Peter Graves, and Kevin McCarthy.

...Next week will see the premiere of BARBIE (2023) directed by Greta Gerwig, whose films include the 2019 version of LITTLE WOMEN. Gerwig has said she drew inspiration from many classic films for the look of BARBIE, including THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG (1964). I plan to see BARBIE, so look for a review here later this month.  (Update: Here is my review!)

...Raquel has reviewed Alan K. Rode's new book BLOOD ON THE MOON at her blog OUT OF THE PAST. For anyone who missed it, my review of the book may be found in my Western RoundUp column at Classic Movie Hub.

...I'm looking forward to HOLLYWOOD SIGNS: GLITTERING GRAPHICS AND GLOWING NEON IN MID-CENTURY TINSELTON, a new book from Angel City Press by Kathy Kikkert. It will be published August 15th.

...For anyone who missed Liam Neeson in THE ICE ROAD (2021) on Netflix, it's now out on Blu-ray. My review of the film is here. ICE ROAD 2: ROAD TO THE SKY, set in the Himalayas, is on the way.

...Last night I watched the only MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE film I'd not yet seen, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION (2015) and rewatched the very first MI film I saw, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT (2018). I'll be seeing the new MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING, PART ONE (2023) this weekend and will be reviewing both that and ROGUE NATION here soon. (Updates: Here are my reviews of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE.)

...Attention Southern Californians: A program on silent screen actress Barbara La Marr will be coming to the Old Town Music Hall on Sunday, July 30th.

...Cinecon has made its first title announcements for next month's festival, a trio of restored Laurel and Hardy films. For more on Cinecon please visit last weekend's news roundup.

...Notable Passing: Soap star Andrea Evans, memorable as Tina Lord on ONE LIFE TO LIVE in the '80s, has passed away at the age of 66. OLTL was my college roommate's favorite soap, so I saw quite a bit of Evans' work.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my July 8th roundup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older