Tonight's Movie: The Keyhole (1933) - A Warner Archive Blu-ray Review
The pre-Code Warner Bros. film THE KEYHOLE (1933), a melodrama with comedic overtones, will be released on Blu-ray next week by the Warner Archive Collection.I don't believe I'd seen this film since my first viewing in 2008, during a time period when I was recording and watching as many Kay Francis films as I could!
At the time of my first viewing I classed THE KEYHOLE as "somewhat odd but watchable." It was great fun to return to it, having seen many more pre-Codes in the interim, with a deepened sense of appreciation. It does have a crazy plot, with Kay "married" to two different men and in love with a third, but I enjoyed it.
Or at least Anne thought she was married, until the return of her first husband Maurice (Monroe Owsley). Schuyler doesn't know anything about him, and he especially doesn't know that Maurice never actually went through with the divorce; Maurice is blackmailing Anne over the fact that her marriage to Schuler isn't legal.
Anne sails for Cuba, with Maurice following, as part of a plan to lure him out of the country. Maurice's sister (Helen Ware), in whom Anne has confided, has a plan to prevent him from being able to re-enter the United States, after which Anne will quietly have that marriage annulled.
Schuyler hires a private detective, Neil Davis (George Brent), to tail Anne on her cruise and see if she's faithful. Neil falls for Anne and things get increasingly complicated...!
The cast is rounded out by Allen Jenkins as Neil's associate and Glenda Farrell as a gold digger trying to take Jenkins for everything he's worth (which isn't much). Familiar faces such as George Chandler, Irving Bacon, Billy Gilbert, and Ferdinand Gottschalk are also on hand.
Like many pre-Codes, this is a fast-paced film, running just 70 minutes. It's directed with verve by Michael Curtiz; the script was written by Robert Presnell (Sr.) based on a story by Alice D.G. Miller.
The black and white cinematography by Barney McGill shows off Francis, her amazing gowns by Orry-Kelly, and some impressive sets to great effect. For many of us, myself included, simply watching the wonderful Kay Francis is a huge part of the enjoyment of her films.
One of the reasons I had increased appreciation for THE KEYHOLE on this viewing is the film fashion presentations by Kimberly Truhler I've attended over the last several years. She has spoken at length about Orry-Kelly's history and Kay Francis's 1930s wardrobes, so I especially enjoyed looking at the movie with a close eye on her clothes.
As always, the Warner Archive Blu-ray print is in great shape. It's from a 1080p HD master from a 4K scan of the original nitrate camera negative, so it looks especially good for a film of this vintage.
As always, the Warner Archive Blu-ray print is in great shape. It's from a 1080p HD master from a 4K scan of the original nitrate camera negative, so it looks especially good for a film of this vintage.
Disc extras are the cartoon BUDDY'S DAY OUT (1933); a Popeye cartoon, WILD ELEPHINKS (1933); and the trailer.
Thanks to the Warner Archive for providing a review copy of this Blu-ray. Warner Archive Blu-rays may be ordered from Movie Zyng, Amazon, and other online retailers.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home