Monday, July 17, 2006

Disneyland Celebrates 51st Birthday

Today is Disneyland's official 51st birthday.

The Long Beach Press-Telegram marked the day with an interview with the park's director of merchandise.

July 17th always brings back fun memories of my years working in the park. I worked on the 25th anniversary my first summer at Disneyland. We always received a carnation with a card attached to it (years 25 and 26) or a button (year 27) announcing which "birthday" was being celebrated that day. (I don't seem to have something from the 28th anniversary in 1983, perhaps I wasn't working that day.) Guests would frequently try to purchase the birthday buttons and cards from cast members. Mine are safely stashed away. :)

Disneyland's Golden Anniversary celebration is expected to continue through Labor Day, though no firm end date has been announced. We're hoping to visit and see the newly remodeled Pirates of the Caribbean in a few days...although if the line is still stretching out to Main Street, we'll wait! :)

Update: Below is a peek at some of the past cast member anniversary goodies I mentioned. The cards on the left and center were worn attached to carnations, and on the right is my favorite, a birthday button.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I love the Pirates of the Carribean, it's been about 15 years since my last ride, maybe I need to plan a visit!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

If it's been 15 years, it's been too long! :) The park's recent management has done a wonderful job sprucing up the park for the 50th, everything is in tip-top condition. Best wishes, Laura

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older