Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Brigadoon Returning to Broadway in 2009...

...but with a new book? That's curious. What's wrong with the Alan Jay Lerner original?

Speaking of Broadway, a new production of SOUTH PACIFIC just opened to great reviews, such as this four-star writeup in USA Today.

That's a production I'd especially like to see. I am particularly fond of the show, having played the lead as a 9th grader (grin). In the late '70s I was fortunate to see a theatrical production with Jane Powell and Howard Keel, costars of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, at the Pantages in Los Angeles.

I've seen very little theater in recent years, but there are a couple productions in my immediate future. Next weekend I'll be seeing the touring production of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. I haven't seen the show since it played in Los Angeles for 3-1/2 years in the late '80s-early '90s. Having seen it several times with Michael Crawford and the Best Christine Ever, Dale Kristien, I'm keeping my expectations low, but it should be fun. (Kristien, incidentally, starred in the only stage production I've ever seen of BRIGADOON... I've also seen her in THE SOUND OF MUSIC and SHOW BOAT. I highly recommend her CD THE BEAUTY OF BROADWAY, which includes songs from PHANTOM.)

Early this summer I'll be seeing a well-reviewed touring production of MY FAIR LADY, which stars Christopher Cazenove. Fans of MASTERPIECE THEATRE may remember him as Charlie in THE DUCHESS OF DUKE STREET. Professor Higgins' mother is played by Marni Nixon -- who dubbed Audrey Hepburn in the film version. How fun is that?!

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

These are wonderful sounding plays. I've been to very few in my life. I loved Michael Crawford (listened to CD)as the Phantom and therefore did not like the actor who portrayed him in the movie. I also don't understand why Brigadoon would need a new "book".

7:40 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Would you believe I haven't seen the PHANTOM movie -- I have such great memories of seeing it on the stage, even in the non-Michael Crawford versions (one of his L.A. replacements was Robert Guillaume, which was interesting!), that I've simply had no interest in the movie... Usually I like seeing variations of the same story and comparing, but I just haven't worked up interest in this particular movie musical...

Best wishes,
Laura

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older