Monday, July 06, 2009

Tonight's Movie: Green for Danger (1946)

Today was the last day of my five-day long weekend "staycation," and before getting back to my business tomorrow I was able to enjoy two more great movies today.

First up: GREEN FOR DANGER, an absolutely delightful British murder mystery. This movie was recommended to me by a couple different people, and it didn't disappoint.

GREEN FOR DANGER is set in a ramshackle hospital on a requisitioned estate in the British countryside during World War II. A postman injured in a bombing dies unexpectedly on the operating table, and the five doctors and nurses present are suspects. Enter Alastair Sim as Inspector Cockrill, who is by turns droll, bumbling, pointed, and clever.

Whodunit? Was it Barney (Trevor Howard), the anesthetist? Mr. Eden (Leo Genn), the surgeon? Or one of the nurses? The three ladies playing the nurses are Sally Gray, Megs Jenkins, and Rosamund John.

The movie is a little gem with great atmosphere and insights into unique aspects of British life. As a longtime reader of Betty Neels' widely beloved books, of which a majority were set in British hospitals, the setting was so familiar -- the surgeons being called Mister (not Doctor!), the caped nurses (called Sisters) living communally adjacent to the hospital, the "operating theatre" run by a Theatre Sister, the porter handing out keys and receiving mail, the shilling for the gas to work, the staff having a cup of tea...

It's interesting to note, from an historical perspective, that in this setting in 1940s Britain there was no instant hot water in the nurses' apartment; they still had to "put on the kettle" to wash dishes or fill a hot water bottle.

As with so many British productions, the plot is almost beside the point, although it's interesting. What really captures the interest are the fascinating, carefully etched characters, the great dialogue, and the dry wit and sense of humor amidst a series of ongoing murders. The spooky atmosphere on the converted old estate helps too.

The film was directed by Sidney Gilliat. It was shot in black and white and runs 91 minutes.

GREEN FOR DANGER is based on a novel by Christianna Brand, which is still in print.

GREEN FOR DANGER is available on DVD from the Criterion Collection. The print is gorgeous. Glenn Erickson (aka the DVD Savant) reviewed the DVD for TCM's site.

The movie has been shown in the past on Turner Classic Movies, which has clips from the film available here.

If you enjoy British mysteries rich with mood, humor, and well-drawn characters, this is the movie for you.

14 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this movie! I love it. Allistair Sim's Detective character is a true gem, and I wish there would've been more films featuring his character. His voice over narrative, given as a report was pretty enjoyable as well, which allowed for his peculiar characterizations and wry observations. I know we say this all the time, but they don't make 'em like this anymore.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wasn't it fun?! I'm looking forward to taking another look at it soon via the commentary. The voiceover was marvelous, especially his last line. A really wonderful film.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:10 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

You might find it interesting to know that there was not instant hot water in a friend's apartment/condo in Munich as late as the late 80's. There was a boiler next to the bathtub that needed to be heated up to take a bath or shower. The building dated to directly post WWII.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's very interesting, Barb! I was wondering about hot water for the baths in the British movie; your friend's German apartment gives insight into a possible answer.

Thanks for sharing that -- amazing that was just 20 years ago.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:14 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Sad that this movie is not available at either the County Library system or the Long Beach City Library.

I believe I've mentioned before that I was also a huge fan of Betty Neels. I so miss the stories she used to crank out at an amazing rate.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's a shame the movie's not readily available to you, Irene. I think another Neels fan would especially enjoy it. Her books are so "cozy." Thanks to Neels, I have an ambition to one day own an Aga stove. (Grin) Fortunately we have a big backlog of her titles to reread, but it was sad when there were no more new titles to be released!

Best wishes,
Laura

3:25 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I discovered this movie a while back on TCM, but missed the beginning. It was one of the first movies I got from Netflix. I enjoy it so much I ordered my own DVD. I also recommend the book. Alastair Sim is just great in the movie. I plan to blog about the movie one day, but there's so much to say. ;-) I did blog about Sally Gray's "interesting" obit.

Missy

P.S. A friend of mine lived in China in the '90s and had to turn on the gas heater for about an hour before she had warm water for a quick shower.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Would you believe that the first time I saw this film was on the USA Network? (That'll give you an idea of not only how little we've advanced in the passing years but how I got my classic film kicks before TCM.)

Still holds up as marvelous entertainment -- though I'm a tad prejudiced in that I'll watch Sim in anything.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, Ivan, I had no idea USA used to show such good movies!

I remember the pre-TCM days when AMC was commercial-free and MGM movies played on TNT...the decline of AMC was very sad but TCM more than makes up for it. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:41 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Love that anecdote about China, Missy. This thread has been educational! :)

I noticed in CLUNY BROWN there was something on the kitchen wall in the opening scenes that looked like maybe it was a water heater and was immediately interested...kind of funny that along with GREEN FOR DANGER I watched a post about a plumber this week!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:45 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

You may wonder why I am revisiting this older post - today in my newsfeed one of my friends who posts about all movies, silent movies, etc. and was an entertainer at Disneyland (he was the original Genie in Aladdin at the Hyperion Theater)posted about this movie. He thinks it is overlooked and praises this movie. One of his quotes: "...it is deservedly considered one of the finest cinematic examples of the pure puzzle plot detective story." Also: "...The screenplay is ingenious, the direction and cinematography are top-notch, and the acting in the film is splendid across the board,...". And this: "...Leading the cast, with the juiciest role, is the brilliant Alastair Sim, in what I consider his best film performance..." So now thanks to his review besides the Criterion Collection DVD come to find out this was uploaded to YouTube in 2018! So I will get to watch it after all. He said the print isn't bad and a lot better than others :) Here's a link to be copied and pasted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluRBp7al1I&feature=youtu.be

7:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, Irene! In a rather amazing coincidence I just pulled my Criterion DVD off the shelf a couple days ago and put it in my "watch soon" stack -- I thought it would be great "comfort viewing" during our current weird times (the COVID-19 pandemic, for anyone who may read this years from now). I hope you enjoy it as much as your friend and I have! I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Best wishes,
Laura

7:13 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Well I just finished watching and all I can is wow! I really enjoyed that! Kept me guessing right up to the end who could have possibly done it. And Alister Sim was so good in this - love the comedic side of his acting. Altogether a really good film. Also I did enjoy the British side of this set in a hospital ala Betty Neels. I'm thinking enough time has passed that I need to go back and revisit some of her books :)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi again, Irene! I'm really delighted ou enjoyed it so well. You definitely encourage me to watch my copy very soon -- I anticipate a rewatch this weekend. :)

Our current times seem perfect to also return to Betty Neels -- they are such soothing books. A story about a nurse marrying a handsome and wealthy doctor sounds like pretty good escapism right now (grin).

Thanks for sharing both you and your friend's responses to the movie!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older