Saturday, September 05, 2009

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from the Internet...

...It's a beautiful game day here in Southern California as the USC Trojans face San Jose State. Matt Barkley is the first "true" freshman to start at quarterback for the Trojans. (Update: The Trojans won soundly, 56-3. Here's a photo gallery.)

...Here's a tour of the home featured in the 1944 classic DOUBLE INDEMNITY. I love the way movie posters are used to decorate, especially a DOUBLE INDEMNITY poster in the dining room.

...And here are photo tours of Martha Stewart's homes. I especially enjoy looking over kitchen layouts.

...More fun Martha links: a new Christmas cards line at Crane & Co., and yummy-looking Citrus Bars at Everyday Food...but they take a pound of butter? Eeek!

...I first came across the name June Duprez in the casts of some Lux Radio Theater shows I've collected on MP3 this year. Then I noticed her in the casts when I recorded two 1939 British films, THE FOUR FEATHERS and THE LION HAS WINGS. I knew nothing about her so I was glad to learn more in a post by Matthew at Movietone News.

...One of my favorite book series growing up was Sydney Taylor's ALL-OF-A-KIND FAMILY books, which tell the story of a family of five Jewish girls growing up in New York early in the 20th century. The books are both a great family story and very educational as readers learn about Jewish holidays and customs. There is a neat COMPANION to the series available online from the Association of Jewish Libraries. (Hat tip: CLM at Staircase Wit.)

...MousePlanet Twitters that Houdini's Magic will take over operation of Disneyland's Main Street Magic Shop later this year. Recently the Magic Shop has seemed to be a magic-free zone.

...A mini political roundup of some good articles: Ed Morrissey on "Obama Theme: Incompetence?"; Scott Johnson of Power Line on "What Van Jones Signifies"; Byron York on "The Van Jones (Non) Feeding Frenzy"; and Doctor Zero on "Judgment Day."

...Re the President's "long, slow rounds" of golf: Maybe it's just me and my idea of what a family vacation should be, but does it strike anyone else as odd that a busy man with such young children would take them on vacation and then, rather than savoring their time together, leave them behind while he spends hours at a time on the golf course, on multiple days?

...Williams-Sonoma Comfort Food isn't supposed to be out till next February, but I saw it in a Williams-Sonoma store a couple days ago. Looks like a wonderful book.

...These Boudin Bakery Brownies look amazing!

...Amazon currently has a great sale on DVD boxed sets and also Fox Film Noir titles. I couldn't resist picking up my own copies of two favorites, I WAKE UP SCREAMING (1941) and FALLEN ANGEL (1945), for just $7.99 apiece. An 8-film Hitchcock set filled with extras is $51.99, or $6.50 per film.

Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I always enjoy your little weekly round ups :) That Hollywood house is really something, droll worthy for sure - as are those brownies ;)
So glad to hear that magic will be back in the Magic Shop. Sheesh, to think it could be something else!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Irene! Doing roundups more regularly has been a fun way for me to put together odds and ends I haven't had time to post during the busy workweek. :) Glad to know you are enjoying them!

Best wishes,
Laura

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older