Wednesday, February 02, 2011

TCM Festival Updates

Turner Classic Movies made several announcements today regarding its Classic Film Festival, to be held in Hollywood from April 28 to May 2, 2011.

TCM announced that Leslie Caron will be in attendance at the opening night 60th anniversary screening of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951).

The news didn't come as a big surprise...I rather suspected she would be there. Given the high cost of attending the opening night gala, which requires a $600 festival pass, I'm so glad I took advantage of the opportunity to see Miss Caron in December at the Egyptian Theatre's screening of the same movie. In fact, I suspect it might turn out to have been a more intimate experience than will be possible at the festival's opening night, as everyone in the audience had the opportunity to meet Miss Caron at a pre-film booksigning.

The other news that gave me a pang, given that I'm not planning to attend the festival, is that Jane Powell will be attending a screening of my favorite movie, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954). However, at least I can say I've met her before, and I also had the chance to meet a number of the brides and brothers at a special screening at the Academy a number of years ago.

Miss Powell will also be introducing ROYAL WEDDING (1951). Shirley Jones will introduce CAROUSEL (1956), Mickey Rooney will present GIRL CRAZY (1943), and Debbie Reynolds will intro THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN (1964).

TCM also announced that the festival will feature the premiere of a 60th anniversary restoration of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951).

A new 75th anniversary print of DODSWORTH (1936) is also on the schedule.

I'll be watching closely to see if D23, which is cosponsoring a number of Disney events, will be making any advance single-event tickets available to its members. Last year single-event tickets could only be bought at the door, and I'm unwilling to fight my way through traffic on the long drive to Hollywood if I can't be sure of a ticket when I arrive.

Previous posts with festival information: October 21, 2010; January 7, 2011.

1 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

$600? It would cost me a whole lot more than that to attend.

I wish ...

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older