Tuesday, October 04, 2011

West Side Story (1961) Plays Theaters Nationwide on November 9th

This November 9th Turner Classic Movies is presenting a very special nationwide 50th Anniversary celebration for WEST SIDE STORY (1961).

A restored print of the film will screen at 7:00 p.m. that date in theaters all over the country. The film will be preceded by what's described as a "TCM original production."

Tickets will go on sale this Friday, October 7th.

Interested viewers can input their zip code on this page to find local theaters which will be showing the movie.

I was quite impressed with the number of local theaters participating, including our favorite movie theater in Huntington Beach, California.

I've been fortunate to see WEST SIDE STORY on a big screen five times over the years, including a very exciting premiere of the restored soundtrack last November, with Oscar winner George Chakiris in attendance that evening.

After I saw the show on the stage for the first time last month, I came home and around midnight I put in my DVD just to watch the dance numbers and be thrilled all over again by Jerome Robbins' choreography.

Even though this November 9th is only one year since the last time I saw the film on the big screen, I'm strongly considering going.

There's simply nothing like the thrill of seeing WEST SIDE STORY on a huge screen, from the first overhead shots of New York and straight through till the end credits. Who knows how many more times the opportunity will come along?

I can't recommend going to see this magnificent film strongly enough.

As the saying goes, "Just do it!"

3 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Saw WSS on the first night it was released in the cinema and numerous times thereafter.

Then at the drive-ins a few times; subsequently on VHS and now DVD.

Went to see a stage performance in the 70s in my old home town, Durban.

Am I a WSS fan or what?

10:21 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

The last time I saw "West Side Story" it was on the TV at the laundromat. Most patrons were chatting on cell phones or with each other, but my eyes met those of a fellow across the folding table and we started snapping our fingers to "Cool". The rest of the crowd disappeared, just like the dance at the gym.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Mel, I'd say you're definitely a WSS fan! How exciting it must have been to see it the first night it was released, especially going in not knowing what it would "look" like on screen.

Caftan Woman, what a great anecdote. Fleeting moments of "connection" like that are such fun.

Best wishes,
Laura

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older