Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Coming to DVD: Maverick - Season 1

The very best Valentine's Day news for MAVERICK fans: Season 1 of the beloved TV series arrives on DVD at long last on May 29th.

MAVERICK will apparently be a regular retail set, rather than being released by the Warner Archive, which has put out another '50s Warner Bros. Western, CHEYENNE. Hopefully the set will sell well and the other seasons will be released in the same format.

The set will include all 27 episodes from the first season, including some of my top favorites such as "Comstock Conspiracy," "The Savage Hills," and "Plunder of Paradise." But they're all good!

No cover art is available yet.

I'm most appreciative of Ivan sending me an email sharing the good news.

Related post: Book Review: A Maverick Life: The Jack Kelly Story.

Update: 50 Westerns From the 50s is celebrating too!

And Ivan mentions "the sounds erupting across the blogosphere are those of champagne corks and general merriment" because of the great news.

February 21st Update: Thanks to ClassicFlix, we now have a look at the cover art!

It's disappointing they left Jack Kelly off the cover, as the Garner-Kelly camaraderie is a big part of what makes the show so special to fans, but I imagine the marketing department sees a big picture of the better-known James Garner as their best selling tool.

Update: Coming to DVD: Maverick - Season 2.

Update: Coming to DVD: Maverick - Season 3.

9 Comments:

Blogger Millie said...

Can I cry pathetic tears of joy, please?! Thanks. ;-D

5:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

By all means, Millie! :)

This will be a great chance for a lot of people to become acquained with the Best. TV. Series. Ever!

Best wishes,
Laura

5:51 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Like me! I have never seen an episode of Maverick!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

To my dismay, I've never seen an episode of "Maverick", but your enthusiasm for it is so contagious, Laura, that I will definitely be checking it out.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfz5tv_dfLA

I can't stop giggling!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Deb and Kevin, I bet you'll enjoy it. There's a good reason those of us who know the show are so thrilled. :)

Caftan Woman, you started my day out on the right note with that link!!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:54 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Now you people are starting to get me curious about Maverick. I have to admit I don't even know what the theme music sounds like, which is unusual for me.

Correction: After investigating Caftan Woman's link, I now know what the theme music sounds like. I actually have heard it before, in the Boston Pops' "Pops Roundup" medley.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Jim Lane said...

Well, now, Laura, that's just about the best news I've heard all week. Seems to me we've discussed this before, a propos of those reruns on LA's Channel 9 in the late '70s. DKoren, Kevin, Elisabeth Grace: you are in for one humongous treat; Maverick is the Best Western Series (just as Rockford Files is the Best Private Eye Series) in the History of Television. Guaranteed.

And speaking of favorite episodes from that season, let's not forget "According to Hoyle", which introduced Diane Brewster as that dazzling vixen Samantha Crawford!

2:58 AM  
Blogger MorganLvr said...

Oh, the original Maverick was fantastic! THE best western series ever. This was when I became
a fan of James Garner - been one ever since.

Do NOT miss!

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older