Saturday, February 02, 2013

Groundhog Day (1993) 20th Anniversary

Has GROUNDHOG DAY (1993) -- and that clock radio playing "I've Got You, Babe" -- really been with us for two decades now?!

It has indeed been 20 years, as GROUNDHOG DAY was first released on February 12, 1993.


This is a special, very rich movie which I have found only improves with successive viewings. It's endlessly quotable, and underneath the humor it makes some wonderful points about the beauty of life.

Over the course of this blog's history I've linked to a Jonah Goldberg column on the movie every other year; since it's Groundhog Day, here it is again! Jonah makes the case that GROUNDHOG DAY should "join IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE in the pantheon of America's most uplifting, morally serious, enjoyable, and timeless movies," and further writes "The point is that Connors slowly realizes that what makes life worth living is not what you get from it, but what you put into it."

If you've never seen the movie before, I strongly recommend it...and if you've watched it in the past, why not take another look?

Happy Groundhog Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

I'm one of those who has never seen it. I guess I should put it on my list, then? :-D

9:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Go for it, Deb, and let me know what you think! :) :)

Best wishes,
Laura

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older