Thursday, April 04, 2013

In Memoriam: Roger Ebert

I think anyone who loves movies was greatly saddened today by the passing of critic Roger Ebert at the age of 70. I know I was.

My husband and I watched Siskel and Ebert for years. I very often didn't agree with either man, but they were interesting as well as entertaining, and while I might look askance at their opinions, I never doubted they were passionate about movies. Here's a video where they discuss their approach to film criticism.

Mr. Ebert was also an uncommonly brave man, continuing to write despite serious health issues which left him unable to eat or speak.

As it happens, my favorite writing by Ebert wasn't about movies at all, but about his love for London in general and one special hotel in particular. Don't miss Ebert's Farewell To My London Home.

Here are remembrances by historian-critics Leonard Maltin and Mick LaSalle, and obituaries from the Los Angeles Times and New York Times.

The balcony is closed...

2 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Roger Ebert was a gentleman and a scholar. I once had occasion to write to him, questioning his opinion on an aspect of one of my favorite films that he'd reviewed (which he liked too) and he got back to me with a polite and insightful reply.

I know all of us will miss him.

RIP.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Silver Screenings said...

So sad to hear of this news - and what a shock to hear he died the day after announcing he was cutting back on his workload.

I never had the chance to see his show, but I loved his writing. His Pulitzer was well deserved, in my opinion.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older