Sunday, July 22, 2018

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Happiest birthday wishes to Nancy Olson, who turned 90 a few days ago, on July 14th. My 2016 birthday tribute to Olson, with many wonderful photos, may be found here.

...Vox ran a very nice article on Twitter's classic film community, particularly the #TCMParty group. One glaring omission, however, was not mentioning the founder of #TCMParty, Paula Guthat.

...Ordered in the Barnes & Noble summer sale at the recommendation of UCLA's Jan-Christopher Horak: PEOPLE ON SUNDAY (1930), a German silent film whose behind-the-scenes talents included Fred Zinnemann, Billy Wilder, Edgar G. Ulmer, and Robert Siodmak.

...Glenn Erickson has a very nice review of Joseph McBride's new book on Ernst Lubitsch posted at CineSavant. Scroll down to his July 21st column for the review. Then, while you're there, take a look at Glenn's latest Blu-ray and DVD reviews, including Kino Lorber's new release of I WALK ALONE (1947), which I'll be reviewing here in the near future. I WALK ALONE stars Burt Lancaster, Lizabeth Scott, Kirk Douglas, Wendell Corey, and Kristine Miller.

...I'll also have a review up soon of Kino's A STRANGE ADVENTURE (1956) with a commentary by Toby Roan and Jay Dee Witney, son of director William Witney. More interesting future releases from Kino include the Oscar-winning THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER (1947) with Loretta Young; SANGAREE (1953), an adventure with Fernando Lamas, Arlene Dahl, and Patricia Medina; TRAPEZE (1956) with Burt Lancaster, Gina Lollobrigida, and Tony Curtis; and COUNTRY (1984), a film with Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard which I recall liking upon its original release.

...Earlier this month Olivia de Havilland's case against FX was denied review by the California Supreme Court. Lara Fowler has the latest update at Backlots.

...The Associated Press has published a favorable review by Douglass K. Daniel of the new Sterling Hayden biography mentioned in a roundup earlier this year.

...Caftan Woman's "One for July on TCM" was a review of THE GIRL IN WHITE (1952), a medical film starring June Allyson which I liked very much myself.

...Netflix news: I've heard good things about the Netflix original romantic comedy SET IT UP (2018), about a pair of assistants who conspire to bring their bosses together in the hopes it will free up their own harried schedules. Coming soon to Netflix: FLAVORS OF YOUTH (2018), Japanese animation from the director of the fine YOUR NAME. (2016) debuts on August 4th and THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL SOCIETY (2018), starring Lily James and Matthew Goode, becomes available on August 10th. I just wish these films had theatrical releases first!

...An interesting bit of WWII history: "This Plane Accidentally Flew Around the World."

...I liked the trailer for FIRST MAN (2018), the story of Neil Armstrong, which stars Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy (THE CROWN), and Kyle Chandler. It's directed by Damien Chazelle, who reunites with his LA LA LAND (2016) star Gosling. As a fan of THE RIGHT STUFF (1983) and APOLLO 13 (1995), this film looks like a winner to me, especially as I have liked Kyle Chandler since his days on HOMEFRONT (1991-93), which is still waiting for a DVD release.

...Fall cookbook season is around the corner! Upcoming titles include COOK LIKE A PRO: RECIPES AND TIPS FOR HOME COOKS by Ina Garten, MILK STREET: TUESDAY NIGHTS by Christopher Kimball, EVERYDAY DORIE: THE WAY I COOK by Dorie Greenspan, and COOK IT IN YOUR DUTCH OVEN from America's Test Kitchen.

...Here is a biographical article on Susan Peters by Christina Newland.

...And here's Leonard Maltin's latest list of "New and Notable Film Books."

...Last month Lifezette ran an article on Tom Selleck's BLUE BLOODS TV series and its depiction of fathers.

...Vulture published a list by Will Leitch and Tim Grierson of the "25 Greatest Heist Films." Other than the fact their knowledge base seems to start at the mid '50s, thus omitting some key earlier titles (THE ASPHALT JUNGLE, anyone?!), plus the omission of the later CHARLEY VARRICK (1973), it's an interesting list. I've seen several titles on it and plan to watch others.

...Notable Passings: Tab Hunter, reviewed here in TRACK OF THE CAT (1954) and BATTLE CRY (1955), passed on July 8th at the age of 86. A relative who met Hunter in a business setting said he was a very nice guy...Roger Perry, a busy working actor for decades, has died at 85. His widow is actress Joyce Bulifant, who I happened to hear speak at last summer's D23 Expo; Perry was previously long married to Jo Anne Worley...Frank Sinatra's first wife, Nancy Sinatra Sr., the mother of his three children, died July 13th at the age of 101...Richard Alan Greenberg, who designed the memorable titles for SUPERMAN (1978), passed away at 71...Kent McCray, a production manager on THE HIGH CHAPARRAL and a producer of LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE, has died at 89. He was a regular participant in HIGH CHAPARRAL fan weekends in Tucson...Biographer Brian Kellow has died of cancer. Kellow's books included 2004's THE BENNETTS: AN ACTING FAMILY. (Via the Self-Styled Siren.)

...For more recent links on classic movies and more, please check out my June 3rd link roundup.

Have a great week!

7 Comments:

Blogger Seth said...

Thank you for another “Around the Blogosphere” post! I really appreciate the link to Maltin’s book list. And speaking of cookbooks, do you happen to have EAT LIKE WALT, which you mentioned a year ago? It sounds very interesting to me, (even though I hear it’s not a cookbook).

And speaking of Walt, aren’t we long overdue for that review of the Walt Disney Family Museum?

10:30 PM  
Blogger Jerry Entract said...

Lots of interesting news there, Laura. Thanks.

Thanks also for that link to the nice piece on "BLUE BLOODS" TV series. Thankfully it gets shown here in the UK very soon after airing in the US and it is the favourite US TV series of my wife and myself, and for the very reasons highlighted in the article. Can't wait for Series 9.

And talking of good TV series,Roger Perry featured heavily in the fine series "ARREST AND TRIAL" (1963-4) as Det. Sgt. Dan Kirby. The show starred Chuck Connors and Ben Gazzara and was the precursor for "LAW AND ORDER". Happily, the whole series of 30x90 min. episodes was made available by Timeless. RIP Roger Perry.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Thanks, Laura. So much interesting stuff.

We're going to start a cult around The Girl in White.

Yes! We want our Homefront!

5:04 AM  
Blogger KC said...

I really like Kyle Chandler as well. It's difficult for me to describe his appeal to me except to say that he has substance as an actor.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Seth, thank you so much for your enthusiasm and kind words, your recent comment you enjoyed these posts helped push me to make the time to put up a new one! I love doing them but the hours seem to run away from me (yes, I am *so* very overdue to get that Walt Disney Museum post up, I need to select the photos and get it going!!!).

I do have EAT LIKE WALT! I can't provide much feedback as I haven't read it yet (see: hours running away from me LOL) but from what I've seen paging through it it's handsomely produced and I was very happy to see the entry on my old restaurant, Casa de Fritos! Thank you again for your support!

Jerry, you're very welcome ! I'm glad to know you like BLUE BLOODS too. I've been collecting the series although I haven't had time to see much of it yet. (My dad gives it a big thumbs up!)

Really appreciate you providing some insight into Roger Perry's career as he's someone I wasn't very familiar with. Great info!

Caftan Woman, I would love it if we get more people to see the underappreciated GIRL IN WHITE. :) And I can't *believe* HOMEFRONT is still unavailable. It ran on cable for a short time and I got a few episodes on VHS but you'd think it would stream or something. I wonder if there are music rights issues or something holding it back?

KC, glad to hear from another Kyle Chandler fan! I agree, he has substance, along the lines of a Dennis Quaid. Always glad to see his name in the credits.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:30 PM  
Blogger Ana Roland said...

LOVED HOMEFRONT! I would love to see it again....Plus it was set in Ohio if I remember correctly which is where I grew up.
Not to make anyone jelly but Friday Night Lights was filmed here in Austin, TX. There was a lot of extra work on the show. Did several scenes with Kyle! He also signed my DVDs of the show. As for Dennis Quaid, he had a big celebrity golf tournament in town which I was a driver. I would pick up celebs at the airport, hotel and drive them to the golf course & etc...He would also have a party for the volunteers after each event. It was lots of fun.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ana, glad you're also in the HOMEFRONT fan club!

What marvelous stories about FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and also Dennis Quaid. What fun! My daughter did extra work here in L.A. for a few months, between college graduation and her first "real" job, but no Kyle Chandler sightings, you lucky duck! I need to watch FNL through start to finish -- I'll keep my eyes open looking for you among the extras!

Glad to hear that Quaid was a good guy offscreen.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Best wishes,
Laura

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older