Monday, July 23, 2018

Bob Fosse Retrospective Opens Saturday at UCLA

The UCLA Film & Television Archive will pay tribute to choreographer and director Bob Fosse with Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! A Retrospective, opening on Saturday, July 28th.

A dozen films featuring Fosse's work, both onscreen and off, will be shown between opening night and the final screening on August 26th.

I'm hoping to attend the opening night screening of ALL THAT JAZZ (1979), which I've never seen. It will be shown in a digital print.

I'm very excited about the prospect of seeing Doris Day and John Raitt in THE PAJAMA GAME (1957) on August 18th. I was lucky enough to see that on a big screen a couple of times as a teenager, at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and the FilmEx festival, and I'm thrilled at the opportunity to see it again in a theater for the first time in so long. I love the movie and its musical score!

THE PAJAMA GAME will be shown with a film I've never seen, DAMN YANKEES (1958), starring Gwen Verdon and the late Tab Hunter. Both films will be shown in 35mm.

August 25th is another special day on the calendar, starting with an afternoon screening of WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954), for which Fosse did uncredited choreography.

I saw WHITE CHRISTMAS in a theater at Thanksgiving in 2013, but as one could probably tell from my review at the time, I don't think it's a movie I could ever see too often. Another nice plus is that while last time I saw it in a digital print, UCLA will be screening it in 35mm.

After a dinner break, it will be time for a double bill of KISS ME KATE (1953) and MY SISTER EILEEN (1955). The films will be introduced by dance historian Debra Levine, who hosted UCLA's marvelous tribute to George Chakiris in 2013.

I've seen KISS ME KATE theatrically multiple times, including twice in 3D, but again it's been a very long time since my last chance to see it on a big screen, and I've never seen MY SISTER EILEEN in a theater. Fosse is pictured here dancing with Janet Leigh in MY SISTER EILEEN; the film also features a fantastic dance with Fosse and KISS ME KATE's Tommy Rall.

KISS ME KATE (seen below) will be shown in a 35mm print from the British Film Institute, with MY SISTER EILEEN shown in DCP format.

Incidentally, MY SISTER EILEEN was just released on a limited edition Blu-ray by Twilight Time. Twilight Time always does great work so musical fans should be sure to consider picking it up. My copy has already arrived!

I've highlighted the series films here which are of interest to me; please visit the UCLA website for the complete schedule. Musical fans have some wonderful opportunities at UCLA in August!

July 28th Update: Here is a report on opening night, including a review of ALL THAT JAZZ (1979).

August 19th Update: Here are reviews of THE PAJAMA GAME (1957) and DAMN YANKEES (1958).

August 26th Update: Here's a review of KISS ME KATE (1953) which also includes information on the screenings of WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954) and MY SISTER EILEEN (1955).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older