Friday, August 30, 2019

The 2019 D23 Expo: Highlights, Part 2

The excitement of Friday's Disney+ panel continued with the Behind the Scenes with the Walt Disney Studios panel on Saturday morning.

All phones and cameras were required to be sealed in plastic bags during this program, so no photos from this one. D23 has a three-minute highlight reel with shots of some of the filmmakers who were present to discuss their upcoming films.


It was quite the event, opening with the entire cast of STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019) and concluding with a live musical performance of new music from the cast of FROZEN II (2019)

Stars we saw at this presentation included:

*Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Keri Russell, and (most importantly for this child of the '70s), Billy Dee Williams and Anthony Daniels; you can see the special "sizzle reel" we saw here.

*Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, and the cast of Marvel's ETERNALS (2020)


*Jolie, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Elle Fanning of MALEFICENT: MISTRESS OF EVIL (2019)


*Ryan Coogler, who will be directing BLACK PANTHER II (2022)


*Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Emily Blunt of JUNGLE CRUISE (2020); The Rock entered on a Jungle Cruise boat, as seen in these pics


*Tom Holland and Chris Pratt of Pixar's ONWARD (2020), along with costar Julia Louis-Dreyfus; seeing Spider-Man and Star-Lord from the Marvel films was another treat for me!


*Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, and Phylicia Rashad of Pixar's SOUL (2020)


*Awkwafina and Cassie Steele of RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON (2020) which looks very good


*Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad, and Jonathan Groff of FROZEN II, along with Evan Rachel Wood and Sterling K. Brown


We also saw clips from BLACK WIDOW (2020), MULAN (2020), and CRUELLA (2021).

Here's an overview with photos from Attractions Magazine.

After that it was time to hit the show floor, starting with the Pixar pavilion and its ONWARD display:



The Disney Parks pavilion is always a highlight of the Expo.



A model of the future STAR WARS hotel coming to Walt Disney World; guests will take a two-night "cruise" into outer space. Looks fun, but it's also going to be highly expensive so it seems unlikely I'll be visiting.


One of the TRON ride vehicles coming to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.


Art work for Disney resorts around the world:




I loved this display of Epcot posters! A MARY POPPINS poster was added after Sunday's reveal of a new ride (more on that in the next post).



And, as always, we hit the Disney Dream Store for Expo-branded merchandise.


This terrific book, due out September 3rd, was originally published in 2016 before being pulled from shelves for unknown reasons. It's been updated and is now back out, and I was thrilled to purchase a copy signed by author Becky Cline of the Walt Disney Archives at the Disney Publishing booth.


Coming soon: A recap of the final event I attended on Day 2, Leonard and Jessie Maltin's panel on Disney films coming to Disney+, plus a look at the final day of the Expo and two posts on costume exhibits.

5 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I know this doesn't fit right here but it is Disney related. I was reading your most recent posts on Twitter (I don't have an account so I could not reply) and noticed the link to the closing of Pixarmonic. I heard about this today from an entertainer I'm friends with on Facebook. Also closing on September 14 is the long running show, Laughing Stock. All these performers were just notified yesterday and given this two week notice. When I use to have a Pass I would see Laughing Stock every time I went and I got to be friends with quite a few of the performers. Many of us fans are very sad about all this. I never got to see Pixarmonic in person but did see videos and thought it was very well put together. I liked the Spike Jones vibe they had going on. My friend replied that this isn't the end of entertainment cuts but that's all he would say - yikes! Pretty soon Disneyland will have no entertainment and what a shame that would be. As a Knott's Season Passholder I'm glad to see they are picking up a lot of the Disneyland entertainers and using them over there. I will be renewing my pass to Knotts for 2020!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene!

It's always so nice to hear from you. I'd say anything about the parks fits just fine with Disney Expo posts. :)

I did hear yesterday about the reductions in entertainment and was particularly sorry to hear the Pixarmonic is going away as I have really enjoyed them. I'm assuming entertainment cuts may be in response to the slower-than-expected attendance at Disneyland this summer -- it's a double-edged sword as I have really enjoyed the shorter lines, something I thought I'd never seen here again.

I get over to Knott's for dinner once or twice a year, but I haven't been in the park since our daughter worked there in her college years. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Do stay in touch! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean DON KNOTTS? HA HA, just kidding! Speaking of DISNEY, Don WAS in some DISNEY movies including THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG. Who are some of your favorite DISNEY actors? I like DEAN JONES really well. He was funny and also attractive in a guy next door way. Classic TV Fan

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I ask why you answer some posts and not others? I asked who are some of your favorite DISNEY actors. There are other posts of mine that got no response. Just wondering. Classic TV Fan.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Classic TV Fan!

Frankly it's simply a matter of being very busy. Comments are very greatly appreciated and I do try to answer them all but sometimes I miss them or it simply takes a few days; in the last 12 days, for example, I've spent 3 days at the D23 Expo, 3 more traveling to L.A. and attending Cinecon, and hosted and entertained house guests in between. I also run a completely separate business along with keeping up with paying bills and buying groceries (grin).

I try to keep fresh content up first so returning readers will find something new and to timely cover more date-sensitive topics such as, for example, the TCM schedule -- I've written 14 posts in a little over a week, including a couple still to publish -- but I do feel badly when I can't always answer immediately or some slip through the cracks. I admire bloggers who can do it all faster than I can, especially as I hate to sometimes miss the opportunity to engage with readers. I post this detailed explanation so that not only you but everyone will know what's going on "in the background" and that I appreciate your understanding and encouragement. I value my readers and the conversations which take place in the comments very much!!

Now to the question at hand, one reason I didn't answer this one immediately is the question had me stumped -- I'm actually not certain if I have favorite Disney actors! Like everyone, I assume (grin), I love Hayley Mills. Dorothy McGuire was very good in her Disney movies, and I also enjoy everyone from Richard Todd and Glynis Johns to Annette and Dean Jones. It's hard to think of people in Disney films I don't enjoy, actually!

Best wishes,
Laura

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older