Saturday, July 18, 2020

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...It was no surprise to learn that the TCM Classic Cruise, originally scheduled to take place this October, has now been rescheduled to October 24-30, 2021.

...Thanks to reader Jane for letting me know that Capitolfest, due to be held in Rome, New York, next month, has finally had to cancel. The next Capitolfest, honoring Joan and Constance Bennett, will be held August 13-15, 2021.

...Here's Leonard Maltin's latest roundup of new film books. I was especially glad to learn that Janis Paige has published a memoir, READING BETWEEN THE LINES, which is now on my wish list.

...Speaking of Janis Paige, be sure to check out the recent tribute at Vienna's Classic Hollywood, with some nice photos. I sure wish I could have seen her on stage in PAJAMA GAME; the LP is one of my favorites.

...Thanks to Walter for mentioning in a comment following my THUNDERHOOF (1948) review that Preston Foster had owned a ranch in Santa Clarita. For anyone who missed our discussion there, I found a real estate video of the impressive property, if anyone else would like to take a peek.

...More info on new film books: Bear Manor Media has published an updated version of ROBERT WISE: THE MOTION PICTURES by J.R. Jordan. Kimberly Lindbergs reviewed it at Cinebeats.

...Also just out from Bear Manor Media is ROSS ALEXANDER: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF A CONTRACT PLAYER by John Franceschina.

...I also came across an interesting Bear Manor Media book published a few years ago which may be of interest to Western fans: WILD WILD WESTERNERS: A ROUNDUP OF INTERVIEWS WITH WESTERN MOVIE AND TV VETERANS by Tom Weaver.

...Raquel Stecher recently published a nice article on actress Susan Peters at the TCM Tumblr page.

...CineSavant Glenn Erickson has reviewed Criterion's brand-new release of WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953) at Trailers from Hell. My copy just arrived a couple days ago!...Incidentally, Alan K. Rode reports that he and Erickson just completed a joint commentary track for an upcoming Blu-ray of MAJOR DUNDEE (1965).

...Erickson also published a review today of MGM'S PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (1940), starring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. It's out on Blu-ray from the Warner Archive. I'll be reviewing that one here in the coming weeks.

...Over at A Classic Movie Blog, KC reviews BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948) from the Warner Archive, starring Robert Mitchum.

...Jeff Arnold's West takes a look at "Rodeo and the Western."

...Colin's latest review at Riding the High Country is WYOMING MAIL (1950) with Stephen McNally and Alexis Smith, which I enjoyed a few years ago.

...Hallmark Channel has a slate of 40 Christmas movies planned to begin airing in October...hopefully they'll be successful completing production on these titles, given the current challenges of filming. With most productions taking place in Canada, U.S. actors and crew are quarantining for two weeks upon arrival before getting to work, with many other precautions in place on sets.

...Royalty Watch: Princess Beatrice of York married Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi yesterday in the Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor. The ceremony, postponed from May due to the pandemic, was kept very small but was attended by her grandparents, Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh, who are 94 and 99, respectively. What a blessing they could attend! Beatrice wore the same tiara her grandmother wore on her own wedding day in 1947, along with a vintage Norman Hartnell dress also on loan from her grandmother. Some great photos are here, and details about the ceremony here.

...Notable Passings: I was sorry to learn of the death of actress Kelly Preston at just 57 years old. I particularly connect her with one of my favorite baseball movies, FOR LOVE OF THE GAME (1999), seen here with Kevin Costner. She is survived by her husband, John Travolta, and two of their three children...Joanna Cole, author of the MAGIC SCHOOL BUS series, has passed on at 75.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my July 11th roundup.

Have a great week!

9 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the hat tip. I didn't realize Foster had a ranch. An impressive piece of property!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

Well, it looks like 2020 will the Lost Year.

Speaking of Bear Manor Media, I just received Ben Ohmart's WELCOME, FOOLISH MORTALS: THE LIFE & VOICES OF PAUL FREES, which I'm excited to start reading.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Enjoyed your review, KC! Glad you enjoyed checking out Our Guy Preston's ranch. :)

It really is the lost year, Seth! The last news I'm waiting on is the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Fest in Palm Springs, which was postponed from last May to early December. I haven't wanted to ask just because it's nice to think that one thing might actually happen this year...but on the other hand I'm not expecting it to go forward, the way things are going...

Thanks for the tip on the Paul Frees book, I'll look at the info on that! Would enjoy hearing what you think of it.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:58 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

A Janis Paige memoir?! I didn't know that was something I would need. Thanks.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Mighty grateful for your mention of my Janis Paige tribute. My blog stats shot up today!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Caftan Woman, doesn't that sound like it should be a terrific read?!

Vienna, I'm delighted to hear that, thank you for letting me know! So glad your terrific blog and Our Girl Janis have some extra eyeballs this weekend. :) :)

Best wishes,
Laura

1:26 PM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thanks so much for linking to my Susan Peters article!

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Colin McGuigan said...

Thanks a lot for adding a link to my piece on Wyoming Mail - much appreciated.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're so very welcome, Raquel and Colin! Thank you for regularly writing so many enjoyable pieces, it's a pleasure to be able to share some of them here.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older