Thursday, May 12, 2022

Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite

Last week we had an absolute blast attending Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite.


Star Wars Nite was a separately ticketed event along the lines of the Oogie Boogie Bash Halloween party and the Merriest Nites Christmas Party. After an 18-month absence from the park in 2020-21, we decided to go "all out" and attend these events, and it's been totally worth the extra expense.


During the "mix-in" hours when ticket holders can enter the park ahead of the party, we enjoyed dinner at the Plaza Inn, including sharing some chocolate cake:


Early in the evening there was a special fireworks show set to John Williams' STAR WARS themes.


The fireworks show was absolutely spectacular, to the point it had me in happy tears by the end.



For me the most thrilling part of the evening was a "lightsaber meetup" at the Millennium Falcon in Galaxy's Edge. Being surrounded by hundreds of colorful lightsabers, which all switched on simultaneously at a command from Rey, was an amazing experience. Here's a video from Daps Magic; the switch-on takes place around the three-minute mark.


Our daughter took the above panoramic shot at the Millennium Falcon. Disney also took several official photos, including the one with Rey below, and made them available to download for free. (Click on any photo to enlarge it for a closer look.)


Ahsoka Tano, a character seen in THE CLONE WARS and THE MANDALORIAN, was supposed to have a "meet and greet" opportunity but we were told there was some kind of malfunction with the costume; since she couldn't appear close to guests, she instead stood at a high location in Tomorrowland and waved to the crowds below. The Disney+ series AHSOKA just began filming this week, incidentally.


The lighting and music for the Storm Troopers' march through Tomorrowland was quite effective!


We were so busy taking in the various character appearances and events -- walking over five miles during the party -- that we didn't even make it onto any of the rides!

We had an absolutely wonderful time. I do wish the party had been from 8:00 to midnight, like Merriest Nites, as 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. is later than I'm used to staying up, but otherwise it was a grand evening.


Mickey Mouse -- wearing an R2-D2 shirt -- waving goodbye from the Train Station as we left close to 1:00 a.m.

The MANDALORIAN and BOOK OF BOBA FETT pins were given out to all ticket holders at the end of the party, while the pin at the lower left was given to Magic Key holders.  The "Baby Yoda" (Grogu) pin was a Limited Edition souvenir I purchased during the party.

Related posts: Today at Disneyland: Opening Day of Galaxy's Edge, Part 1 (2019); Yesterday at Disneyland: Rise of the Resistance (2020).

7 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

Wow! That looks so amazing and fun!!!!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I followed your adventures on Twitter for this event. I found a couple of videos of the fireworks, one close in and the other a bit further back, and was so impressed. I cried just watching it!!! I also follow a couple of Vloggers who went and recorded their experience. Sounds like Disney knocked it out of the ballpark on this one :)

I also saw your comment regarding what your daughter said about the Dr. Strange movie. Interesting because I've had my doubts about it. Lately it seems to me that Disney and Pixar also is going down such a mystical path that it makes me uncomfortable. I have Disney + thanks to my daughter and day before I watched Inside Out and yesterday I watched UP! I was thinking that Pixar used to make movies with heart and they aren't so much anymore. I did watch Encanto and thought the animation was amazing and colorful but the story line left me cold. Now I've watched Turning Red and again, though I found it funny in spots (the way the mother acts) the reason for turning into a Panda and the way out of that reeks of things I don't believe in. To me since John Lassater had to step down (another whole subject), Pixar has lost its heart.

Also wanted to say enjoyed your trip up to Oregon to see the twins :) And your coverage of the TMC Festival - what a blast to be back together again. Enjoy your time in Palm Springs.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

WOW! This sounds so magical and amazing. Thank you for sharing your memories and photos!

5:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi everyone! I'm catching up on comments after my weekend away in Palm Springs. :)

I think you all would have found it so much fun!! And thank you for taking the time to check out the photos (and in Irene's case, also follow along on Twitter!).

Irene, thank you so much for mentioning the other fireworks videos out there, I will do some Googling and check them out. I video'd a couple brief sections of the fireworks but would like to revisit it. I became incredibly emotional during it...something about the combination of the Williams music, the fireworks display, and the relief I now feel doing anything "normal"!

My husband and son-in-law both later corroborated what my daughter said about DOCTOR STRANGE AND THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, that I would be upset and disturbed by it. I was so disappointed! Having absolutely loved WANDAVISION, I had expectations about where Wanda's character would go, having learned and grown from her time in Westview, and...this movie is apparently not anything like I hoped, but quite the opposite. Our youngest daughter was also warned off of seeing it by the family, as she tends to react to things similarly to me.

Thank you so much for following all my coverage on here and Twitter!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

PS: Here is a fireworks video which was taken very close to where I was standing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-z_gsSsHFQ&ab_channel=ThemeParkTimes

What a night! The fireworks and the light saber meetup alone were worth the price of admission.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:29 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I also also concur with the reports on the Doctor Strange sequel... it was quite disturbing and I was so disappointed. Doctor Strange is one of my favorite characters, as is Wanda, and like you, I absolutely loved WandaVision, but this... I will not be watching it again.

And thanks for the fireworks video link!! Can't wait to watch tonight.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Deb, I very much appreciated your thoughts on DOCTOR STRANGE. I know how much you generally like this type of film, and the fact that it troubled you so much definitely gives me pause, along with the comments from various family members. I feel like the writers really did Wanda (also always one of my very favorite characters) and WANDAVISION wrong. I guess there's some hope we can reclaim "our" Wanda in a multiverse situation in a future film but...sigh.

I hope you enjoyed the fireworks video! Thanks again to Irene for the idea to hunt for it.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older