Saturday, October 14, 2023

Piper Laurie, 1932-2023

Sad news today: Actress Piper Laurie, whose film career stretched over nearly seven decades, has passed away at the age of 91.


The actress, who was born in Detroit in 1932, died today in Los Angeles.


I believe the first time I saw her act was in the great TV miniseries THE THORN BIRDS (1983), which I watched in my college days. She's seen here with Rachel Ward:


Otherwise, other than her Emmy-winning role in PROMISE (1986) with James Garner and James Woods and her Emmy-nominated guest appearance on FRASIER in 1999, I believe my viewing of Laurie's work consists entirely of several of her '50s films.


My favorite Laurie films are SON OF ALI BABA (1952) with Tony Curtis...


...THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1953) with Tyrone Power...


...and DAWN AT SOCORRO (1954) opposite Rory Calhoun.


These three movies are all rather different -- an Arabian Nights style adventure, a romantic melodrama, and a Western -- but each one is deeply atmospheric and moving, and Laurie is a key component in the success of each film.


Ironically Laurie wanted to leave Universal Pictures and the studio system, but I'm grateful for her work there; the escapism of SON OF ALI BABA, in particular, gave me pure joy.


A dozen years or so ago she wrote an interesting memoir, LEARNING TO LIVE OUT LOUD.


I'm very grateful that I had the chance to see her in person at the 2022 TCM Classic Film Festival, preceding a screening of HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL (1952). She's seen here along with interviewer Ben Mankiewicz.


I remember Piper Laurie's work with deep appreciation, and I'm glad that it will continue to entertain us for as long as films -- and television -- exist.

Piper Laurie films previously reviewed at Laura's Miscellaneous Musings: FRANCIS GOES TO THE RACES (1951), SON OF ALI BABA (1952), HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL (1952) (also here), THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1953) (also here), DANGEROUS MISSION (1954), DAWN AT SOCORRO (1954), and UNTIL THEY SAIL (1957).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older