Thursday, January 11, 2024

Tonight's Movie: State Secret (1950)

Following the recent passing of actress Glynis Johns I saw mention on Twitter of her film STATE SECRET (1950), aka THE GREAT MANHUNT.

I was immediately intrigued as I learned more about the names associated with the film, which also stars Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

The movie was written and directed by Sidney Gilliat (GREEN FOR DANGER), based (uncredited) on the Roy Huggins novel APPOINTMENT WITH FEAR. Gilliat also coproduced with his longtime partner Frank Launder.

Unfortunately STATE SECRET is not readily available on physical media, but I was fortunate to find it on YouTube. That, however, was not without its own issues; I had to watch the movie in sections due to my work schedule, and when I sat down to watch the last half hour, the movie had disappeared. Fortunately I found it elsewhere, albeit colorized, and was able to finish.

When the movie began I was immediately struck that the introductory narrative card read much the same as for the same year's CRISIS (1950), starring Cary Grant, which coincidentally I just revisited a few days ago for the first time in a dozen years.

The card essentially said that the country the movie was set in isn't real, but viewers may recognize the situation.

The movie turned out to have a great deal more in common with CRISIS than their introductions; each film is about a surgeon trapped into operating on a dictator, with the doctor prevented from leaving the country afterwards.

American Dr. John Marlowe (Fairbanks), currently on a visit to England, is lured to the Eastern European country of Vosnia with an award and the chance to share his new surgical technique with doctors there.

When he performs a surgery to train Vosnian doctors Marlowe is misled about his patient's identity, with the patient switched in between the presurgical consultation and the operation; when there are postsurgical complications Marlowe realizes his life is in danger and goes on the run -- with Colonel Galcon (Jack Hawkins) dogging his every step.

Shades of Hitchcock's THE 39 STEPS (1935) or SABOTEUR (1942), Marlowe finds himself hiding out with an initially reluctant British-American dance hall performer, Lisa Robinson (Johns).

They're able to enlist the help of a smuggler (Herbert Lom), who sets them up for a perilous climb to get out of the country.

I found STATE SECRET quite enjoyable, with two charming leads and strong support from Hawkins and Lom. Fairbanks' Dr. Marlowe is mostly a smart man, though he was easily swayed to end up exactly where the dictator's staff wanted him; it's interesting watching him attempt to deal with his dire predicament, where even the American embassy is out of his reach.

Hawkins and Lom played their characters mostly for laughs, although we learn in an early scene that Hawkins' general is a lethal man, with life-threatening danger lurking just below the jovial surface.

This 104-minute film isn't perfect; for instance, the climbing section goes on too long and the outcome proves frustrating. I would also have enjoyed more banter and personal relationship development between the doctor and Lisa, although what made it in the film is well done.

I also found comparing STATE SECRET to CRISIS interesting; it's one example among many of similar films which were released in close succession. CRISIS had a July 1950 release, with STATE SECRET rolling out in different countries beginning the same month; it had a U.S. release in October 1950.

I found CRISIS the stronger of the two films, with a tighter script, although my friend Colin over at Riding the High Country is of the opposite opinion, so "your mileage may vary." I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who's seen either of the movies.

STATE SECRET was filmed by Robert Krasker, with some of the location work done in Italy. The score was by William Allwyn.

Learning of a previously unknown film such as this one is always a treat. Let's hope it receives an authorized release for home viewing at a future date.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Rutledge said...

Just watched this one at your recommendation, and enjoyed it better than Crisis. I found Crisis's dialogue to be mostly on the nose, and the pacing a bit too slow for my taste. Whereas the dialogue in State Secret was quite clever with bits of humor sprinkled in. The pacing held my interest throughout the film, except for a slightly long mountain climbing scene. And I liked the happy ending. It's so interesting that, according to IMDB they premiered on the same day, July 3-- Crisis in the U.S. and State Secret in Sweden!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Like you, I stumbled on this movie on youtube and while it is a bit too long, I found it an undiscovered little gem. I had never even heard of it.

It's quite a different role for Fairbanks and he worked well with Glynis Jones. I've really come to appreciate Herbert Lom too.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Jerry Entract said...

Fortunately I downloaded the film off-air in a fine print some years ago. I enjoy both films for their different approaches. There was even a British B-movie called OPERATION DIPLOMAT made around the same time and with a not dissimilar theme.

Johns and Fairbanks made very likeable leads and Jack Hawkins was as sure-footed as ever though I tend to prefer him in his normal good-guy roles.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I really loved all this feedback!

Lynn, glad you were able to find and watch it right away. Very interested you liked it more than CRISIS. I enjoyed the dialogue too - and agree the mountain climbing went on too long. Isn't that interesting about the premieres?! Thanks again for watching it and sharing your take.

Margot, glad you found it on YT. Interested that you, Lynn, and I all felt it was just a tad too long but generally liked it. I wish Fairbanks Jr. had made more movies like this! Lom was a lot of fun in this.

Jerry, That's great you were able to record it - the B&W print I watched most of seemed to come from TV and I wonder if by chance it was the same way you saw it. I looked up OPERATION DIPLOMAT and it sounds like my kind of movie. It's so interesting how often there would be rather similar films released close in time in the classic film era.

Thank you all again!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Barry Lane said...

I saw State Secret on its initial release in 1950 at the Rivoli Theatre in Rutherford, New Jersey. Some of the images have stayed with me, but not much else other than Doug, whom I liked and admired in Sinbad the Sailor, and the things my father told me about Doug, Sr. As a consequence, when his television series Douglas Fairbanks Presents played over here, I never missed it, but nearly always disappointed that he was not the lead actor more often. I have always admired the Hollywood and British men who served in the war. Wish they were with us now.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older