Monday, January 01, 2024

Tonight's Movie in 2023: The Year in Review

Happy New Year!!

It's once again time for my annual look back at the past year's movie viewing! 2023 was yet another terrific viewing year, filled with a wide variety of films, including a significant number of "big screen" experiences.

I saw 194 films in 2023.

That compares to 179 films in 2022, 190 films in 2021, 198 films in 2020, 238 films in 2019, 282 films in 2018, 284 films in 2017, 275 in 2016, 310 movies in 2015 (my record to date!), 286 movies in 2014, 277 films in 2013, 220 in both 2012 and 2009, 226 in 2011, and 211 movies in 2010.

I saw 56 movies in a theater this year. That's up from the last few years, with 42 theatrical films in 2022, 28 big screen films in 2021, and 9 big screen films in 2020. Looking further back, I saw 91 big screen films in 2019, 116 theatrical films in 2018, 102 in 2017, 75 in 2016, 115 in 2015, 78 in 2014, 50 in 2013, and 55 in 2012.

13 of my theatrical viewings were brand-new 2023 films. More information on the new titles seen follows below.

74 of this year's 194 films were repeat watches, with 32 of those repeat viewings coming on a big screen. Oftentimes my repeat watches occur at film festivals. I also made it a goal to revisit some post-2000 releases this year, such as MICHAEL CLAYTON (2007) and MONEYBALL (2011), to name two.

For comparison, in 2022 there were 60 repeat watches. In 2021 there were 74 repeat watches, in 2020 there were 64 repeats, and in 2019 there were 81 repeat watches. In 2018 there were a whopping 92 repeat watches, while in 2017 there were 68 repeat films, 62 in 2016, 76 in 2015, 68 in 2014, 41 in 2013, 36 in 2012 and 2009, 15 in 2011, and only 13 in 2010.

As always, each hyperlinked title in this post links to a past review. It's always my hope that the linked reviews will help provide readers with information to assist in their own future viewing. To this end, each linked review includes options available for watching each title, particularly focusing on physical media.

The next section of this post will look at some additional stats, including films seen at festivals and lists of most-seen actors. The final section is a roundup of some monthly viewing of titles not previously mentioned in this post.

Here's a deeper dive on my 2023 movie viewing year!

...I attended four film festivals this year, beginning with the TCM Classic Film Festival in April, followed by the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival in May. Later in the year I attended the Noir City Film Festival and the Lone Pine Film Festival.

...At this year's TCM Classic Film Festival I saw 15 films, four of which were new to me: THE WISER SEX (1932), THE CRIMSON CANARY (1945), SORRY, WRONG NUMBER (1948), and CLASH OF THE WOLVES (1925), which I reviewed later in the year when it was released on Blu-ray.

...Previously reviewed films seen at the 2023 TCM Classic Film Festival, listed in the order viewed: SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943), FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933), THE KILLERS (1946), WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951), UNFINISHED BUSINESS (1941), HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943), and THE RED SHOES (1948). I also revisited THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE (1941) and reviewed it when it was released on Blu-ray shortly after the festival.

...Also revisited at the festival: THAT TOUCH OF MINK (1962), HARVEY (1950), and OCEAN'S 11 (2001).

...At the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival, held in May in Palm Springs, I saw a dozen films, five for the first time. New to me were: THE SHANGHAI GESTURE (1941), DECOY (1947), THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (1947), DIAL 1119 (1950), and SCANDAL SHEET (1952).

...Previously reviewed movies seen at the Arthur Lyons Fest were THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942), THE NAKED CITY (1948), BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948), THE LADY GAMBLES (1949), APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER (1950), THE BIGAMIST (1953), and THE KILLING (1956).

...The Noir City Film Festival took place in August at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. A DOUBLE LIFE (1947) was a first-time watch for me, and I also enjoyed revisiting several films on the big screen: THE VELVET TOUCH (1948), CRY OF THE CITY (1948), TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH (1947), WHIPLASH (1948), and BODYGUARD (1948). As a side note, in 2024 the Noir City Hollywood Festival will return to the Egyptian Theatre from March 22nd to 31st.

...As I have for the last several years, I traveled to Lone Pine in October for the Lone Pine Film Festival, where I saw five films: GUNS OF HATE (1948), HELL BENT FOR LEATHER (1960), TRAIL TO SAN ANTONE (1947), RIDE LONESOME (1959), and BAR 20 RIDES AGAIN (1935). Of those films, only the last film, a Hopalong Cassidy entry, was new to me.

...I attended a handful of other special screenings this year, including THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY (1945) and RAMROD (1947) at UCLA. RAMROD, in fact, was part of a fun two-film, two-theater day which began with seeing LAURA (1944) at the Aero in the afternoon before heading to UCLA after dinner.

...I saw 13 brand-new films theatrically in 2023: PLANE (2023), MARLOWE (2023), FAST X (2023), SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE (2023), THE LITTLE MERMAID (2023), ELEMENTAL (2023), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE (2023), BARBIE (2023), OPPENHEIMER (2023), RETRIBUTION (2023), THE HILL (2023), GODZILLA MINUS ONE (2023), and WISH (2023). I enjoyed all of these to varying degrees but my favorites were probably PLANE and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE which were both purely enjoyable, and especially in the case of MI, thoughtful as well.

...I also saw a Fathom Events screening of KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE (1989) at my local Cinemark Theatre; it was my first time to see that delightful film, and it won't be the last. It's now my second-favorite Miyazaki film, after MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (1988).

...I saw only one feature-length documentary this past year, but it was a good one: SOUTH: ERNEST SHACKLETON AND THE ENDURANCE EXPEDITION (1919). It's a remarkable documentation of history!

...On the other hand, I saw 14 silent films this year! That's a very nice number for me. I'll link to some of those titles later in this post.

...Hallmark films enjoyed in 2023: A CHRISTMAS COOKIE CATASTROPHE (2022), HANUKKAH ON RYE (2022), EAT, PLAY, LOVE (2017), HAUL OUT THE HOLLY (2022), A BIG FAT FAMILY CHRISTMAS (2022), and HAUL OUT THE HOLLY: LIT UP (2023). From Lifetime I saw BAKING ALL THE WAY (2022). My favorite of these was probably a tie between HANUKKAH ON RYE and HAUL OUT THE HOLLY.

...The worst picture I saw in 2023 was THE ANDERSON TAPES (1971), which I really didn't care for. Past "winners" in this category: HULLABALOO (1940) from my 2009 list, FORT BOWIE (1958) in 2011, INHERIT THE WIND (1960) in 2012, a tie between DAVY CROCKETT, INDIAN SCOUT (1950) and FLYING BLIND (1941) in 2013, FORT YUMA (1955) in 2014, THE ROBIN HOOD OF EL DORADO (1936) in 2015, MAKE MINE LAUGHS (1949) in 2016, DEJA VU (1985) in 2017, GOLDIE GETS ALONG (1933) in 2018, MADAME X (1966) in 2019, THE MOONLIGHTER (1953) in 2020, THE ART OF LOVE (1965) in 2021, and AMERICAN FLYERS (1985) in 2022. Fortunately it's quite rare when I don't find at least some things in a film to enjoy, and it actually took me a while to come up with a title for this year's "worst" list.

...This year I was happy to continue my monthly Westerns column for the terrific Classic Movie Hub site. The index for all of my Western RoundUp columns may be found here. In addition to articles on a variety of topics, I wrote longer reviews of seven Westerns: THE FURIES (1950), RANCHO NOTORIOUS (1952), TOMBSTONE (1993), DESTRY (1954), THE LONE HAND (1953), SHOWDOWN (1963), and GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL (1957).

...I also surveyed a quartet of short "B" movies at Classic Movie Hub: HIDDEN VALLEY (1932) with Bob Steele, RIDERS OF DESTINY (1933) with John Wayne, BORDERTOWN GUN FIGHTERS (1943) with Bill Elliott and Anne Jeffreys, and the Hopalong Cassidy film HEART OF THE WEST (1936).

...Audie Murphy was my most-seen actor in 2023, in seven films, thanks largely to Kino Lorber releasing multiple volumes of his Westerns. He was followed by Boris Karloff and Grant Withers at five films apiece, again thanks to Kino Lorber, which released a delightful Mr. Wong Collection.

...Also seen regularly in 2023, with four films each: Tom Cruise, Tony Curtis, Charles Drake, Glenn Ford, Joel McCrea, and Walter Pidgeon.

...Seen in three films apiece: Scott Brady, James Cagney, Bob Hope, Jack Carson, Broderick Crawford, Preston Foster, Leif Erickson, Jimmy Hunt, Alan Ladd, Burt Lancaster, Edmond O'Brien, Tyrone Power, Robert Preston, George Sanders, Don Taylor, and Anthony Quinn.

...This year there was a three-way tie for my most-seen actress of 2023; Joan Crawford, Gene Tierney, and Anna May Wong were each seen in four films apiece.

...Also seen regularly in 2023, with three films apiece, a particularly eclectic group of actresses: Lucille Ball, Peggy Dow, Irene Dunne, Mona Freeman, Dorothy Hart, Signe Hasso, Martha Hyer, Ossi Oswalda, Marjorie Reynolds, and Esther Williams.

...Below is a month-by-month look at some additional titles not already listed above which I found especially memorable viewing in 2023.

...I kicked off 2023 with a New Year's Day viewing of the classic Astaire-Crosby musical HOLIDAY INN (1942)...I also saw Bing Crosby in GOING HOLLYWOOD (1933) the first week of the year...Additional January-February viewing included A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE (1948), a murder mystery I really enjoyed starring Charles Boyer and Ann Blyth...The suspense film THE UNGUARDED MOMENT (1956) was a nice surprise starring Esther Williams and George Nader...INVADERS FROM MARS (1953) was an unsettling sci-fi film, beautifully presented on Blu-ray...WIFE VS. SECRETARY (1936), starring Clark Gable, Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, and James Stewart, is an old favorite...I enjoyed revisiting the excellent Argentinian film noir THE BLACK VAMPIRE (1953), aka EL VAMPIRO NEGRO, thanks to Flicker Alley's outstanding release...I also had fun revisiting Dennis O'Keefe in THE DIAMOND WIZARD (1954)...BRIGHT VICTORY (1951) was a moving film about a blind WWII vet starring Arthur Kennedy and Peggy Dow...Tony Curtis was excellent as a boxer in THE SQUARE JUNGLE (1955), costarring Ernest Borgnine...I'm fond of I WAS A SHOPLIFTER (1950), a fun little Universal Pictures film starring Scott Brady, Mona Freeman, and Andrea King.

...March and April viewing included revisiting the silent Joan Crawford film OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS (1928)...I finally caught up with Edgar G. Robinson in CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY (1939), which was really worthwhile...IF I WERE KING (1938), scripted by Preston Sturges and starring Ronald Colman and Frances Dee, was really delightful...Audie Murphy played an up-and-coming boxer in the enjoyable WORLD IN MY CORNER (1956)...I caught up with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL (2011) which was lots of fun...I loved revisiting an Esther Williams favorite, NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER (1949), on a beautiful new Blu-ray...I liked Dana Andrews in THE FEARMAKERS (1958)...I also loved Blu-ray releases of favorites FLAMINGO ROAD (1949) with Joan Crawford and COUNSELLOR AT LAW (1933) with John Barrymore...LUCKY JORDAN (1942) is an enjoyable film for Alan Ladd fans...BORDER RIVER (1954) with Joel McCrea and Yvonne De Carlo is a relatively minor yet entertaining Western I've watched multiple times...I finally saw Hitchcock's THE PARADINE CASE (1947) and despite its low reputation in some quarters, I quite enjoyed it!

...The May-June time frame begin with another good Yvonne De Carlo Western, TOMAHAWK (1951), also starring Van Heflin...UNDERTOW (1949) is another good Universal film starring Scott Brady, costarring the always-delightful Peggy Dow...LITTLE MISS MARKER (1934) was a high quality Shirley Temple film I quite enjoyed...KING OF CHINATOWN (1939) was part of Kino Lorber's three-film Anna May Wong collection, a "B" film which was both different and fun to watch...It was great to revisit THE BIG EASY (1986) with Dennis Quaid for the first time in many years...The new KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1950) Blu-ray was absolutely stunning compared to the quality of the film's prior DVD release, can't recommend it enough...Scott Brady also turned up again in UNDERCOVER GIRL (1950), a Universal film with Alexis Smith in the title role...JUGGERNAUT (1974) was a very good suspense film with fascinating location work on a cruise ship in bad seas...I finally saw WHERE EAGLES DARE (1968) with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood for the first time...Reginald Denny starred in OH, DOCTOR! (1925) a cute silent movie opposite Mary Astor...THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1953) is a favorite Tyrone Power film...and SPY HUNT (1950) was an engaging espionage film starring Marta Toren and Howard Duff.

...My July-August summer viewing consisted of THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN (1973), a very good police procedural with Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern...I finally saw ANGEL FACE (1952), with Jean Simmons as a very twisted woman and Robert Mitchum as the man who falls for her against his better judgment...I enjoyed a bunch of short little Mr. Wong mysteries in the second half of the year, starting with MR. WONG, DETECTIVE (1938)...I saw the highly entertaining MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION (2015) for the first time in the run-up to the new MI film releasing in July...THE FASTEST GUN ALIVE (1956) is a solid Western starring Glenn Ford and Jeanne Crain...STEP DOWN TO TERROR (1958) was a minor film which was nonetheless rather fascinating, remaking SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943)...Like the previously mentioned FLAMINGO ROAD, THE DAMNED DON'T CRY (1950) is a favorite Joan Crawford film which I enjoyed revisiting...I'm a Diane Lane fan and enjoyed watching UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN (2003) for the first time in years...I also revisited the very entertaining MISS SLOANE (2016) starring Jessica Chastain...THE PREVIEW MURDER MYSTERY (1936) was a terrific little "B" film shown on Turner Classic Movies...I liked Gena Rowlands saving a little boy from the mob in GLORIA (1980)...LIGHTHOUSE (1947) might have been my favorite "B" movie of the year, starring June Lang, John Litel, and Don Castle...I revisited MRS. MINIVER (1942) for the first time in a great many years and its excellence blew me away...I enjoyed returning to SIERRA (1950) with Audie Murphy and Wanda Hendrix...THE CRUSADES (1935) is top Cecil B. DeMille, starring Loretta Young and Henry Wilcoxon.

...In September and October I enjoyed Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson in 42 (2013), with Harrison Ford excellent as Branch Rickey...WICHITA (1955) is a favorite telling of the tale of Wyatt Earp, starring Joel McCrea...I liked HUMAN DESIRE (1954), starring Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame, a lot more than I had when I first saw it a dozen years ago...FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND (1951) is a terrific sequel to FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950), and the new Blu-ray rescuing the film from years of awful public domain prints was a joy...THE SPANISH DANCER (1923) was a terrific silent film starring Pola Negri...ONE WAY STREET (1950) is a worthwhile film with James Mason, Marta Toren, and Dan Duryea...I really liked the creatively staged silent film PICCADILLY (1929) starring Anna May Wong...THE TATTERED DRESS (1957), with Jeff Chandler leading a strong cast, is an excellent crime melodrama...CONVICTED WOMAN (1940) was a very enjoyable "B" prison film with Rochelle Hudson and Glenn Ford leading a strong cast.

...Viewing was fairly low in November and December, thanks in part to my spending a week at Disney World and all the work I had to do ahead of traveling!  I really enjoyed the sci-fi film IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE (1958)...DANCE, FOOLS, DANCE (1931) was an engrossing melodrama with Joan Crawford plus an electric Clark Gable in a supporting role...STORM FEAR (1955) was an interesting crime melodrama starring and directed by Cornel Wilde...And it was good to revisit HANNAH AND HER SISTERS (1986) for the first time in many years.

As I wrap this up, I'd like to again very sincerely thank everyone who visits this blog, both occasional visitors and "regulars." This was a challenging year for me in some ways, and while I was able to keep the blog going steadily, I regret I was unable to always promptly answer comments; every comment is read and greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on track in that regard in 2024.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Rutledge said...

Laura, I'm curious to know how many different movies you've watched over the years, if that's something you don't mind sharing. I've enjoyed your blog this year, as always. Looking forward to more "Musings" in 2024!

10:26 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I always love this year in review post. So much good content here, and so many movies to be reminded of. Here's to a fabulous 2024!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Lynn! I've kept an ongoing list of every film I've watched since I was about 10 -- at which time I was able to pretty accurately reconstruct the films I'd seen up to that date -- but I've never dared actually count them! A few years ago I backed up my handwritten list by typing it, and I'd estimate from looking at the number of titles on one page that the list is around 4000 individual titles. Somehow it seems like it should be more by this point in my life LOL. Thank you so much for your support!

Deb, thank you also so much for your kind words, they really encouraged me. I hope you find some "fun stuff" to check out as you review it.

Happy New Year to you both!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:38 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

You never cease to amaze me with your simply incredible knowledge and viewing of the classics.I think I most envy your seeing 56 movies in a theater (aka. cinema in the U.K.) By the way, if you go to stage play, is that not going to the theater. I’m curious as to the difference.
Your blog is always a must read, Laura. Very best wishes from Scotland.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Phyl said...

I can't even imagine seeing that many movies in theaters! I hope to attend a film festival one day but will be lucky if I can sit in the dark and watch three movies a day without getting a headache.. Can't believe you had never seen "Sorry, Wrong Number" before! I discovered it on YouTube in college and loved it. It was probably one of my first suspense movies that didn't have any comedy. I bet "The Naked City" was amazing to see on the big screen! And "Laura" ;) I agree "The Moonlighter" was terrible. How could such a great screen team make such a boring movie?!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Vienna, I appreciate your kind words more than I can say, all the more so as I enjoyed your blog for so many years. Thank you!

Good question re theater - I always track it separately simply because of its "live," "one time only" nature. But film and theater of course also have much in common.

Phyl, I hope you get to attend a festival one day too! I kind of go into "festival mode" at a festival, it's kind of like a roller coaster ride seeing what you'll get next that day! I really enjoyed SORRY, WRONG NUMBER and hope to revisit and review it at some point via the Shout! Blu-ray. I *loved* revisiting THE NAKED CITY on a big screen, and I can never see too much of LAURA.

I always enjoy your monthly viewing roundups - they frequently remind me of films I'd like to see -- or revisit!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one disappointed by THE MOONLIGHTER...sometimes I've wondered if I had a bad day when I saw it LOL. Truly, how could you mess that one up?!

Thank you both not only for reading my year-end roundup but for your longtime support and friendship.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older