Friday, January 01, 2021

Tonight's Movie in 2020: The Year in Review

Happy New Year!!

Time for my annual look back at the movie viewing year that was! 2020 was a terrific viewing year, although things didn't go exactly as planned, for obvious pandemic-related reasons.

I mean, who would have thought exactly one year ago that I'd see only eight films in a theater in 2020? Or that one of the highlights of my entire year would be going to a drive-in movie?

I saw 198 films in 2020. For comparison, I saw 238 films in 2019, 282 films in 2018, 284 films in 2017, 275 in 2016, 310 movies in 2015 (my record to date!), 286 movies in 2014, 277 films in 2013, 220 in both 2012 and 2009, 226 in 2011, and 211 movies in 2010.

Given that, like most people in 2020, I was at home for the majority of the year, I'm rather surprised that this was my lowest annual viewing total since I've been recording the numbers here. It's the first time in many years that my total has been under 200 films.  You'd think that, being home with fewer options for spending my time, my viewing would be up, not down.

I attribute last year's lower number to two things: First, not seeing anywhere from 8 to 18 movies in a long weekend at multiple film festivals over the course of the year greatly reduced my numbers; we were halfway through the Noir City Hollywood festival when everything shut down.

Second, I think I found it difficult to concentrate at times due to some mental exhaustion, particularly last spring when I was dealing with things like my business grinding to a halt for an extended period and there was so much uncertainty about the future.  Happily I feel as though that stopped being a factor as the year went on, business concerns receded, and the "new normal" became more...normal?

My eight films (plus one drive-in movie!) is, needless to say, my lowest theatrical tally in years.  As usual, here are past the tallies for preceding years: 91 big-screen films in 2019, 116 theatrical films in 2018, 102 in 2017, 75 in 2016, 115 in 2015, 78 in 2014, 50 in 2013, and 55 in 2012.

Just one of my 2020 theatrical viewings was a brand-new movie, STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019). Of the big-screen films seen, two classic-era movies were also new to me; both also happened to be foreign films. More on that below.

As a side note, we already know that 2021 won't be completely normal either; most if not all California theaters are currently shut down, and the TCM Classic Film Festival already announced that there will be no festival this year, focusing instead on a return in 2022. However, with the vaccine beginning to be distributed, hopefully we will be looking at a return to theatrical screenings in a few months.  If 2020 has taught us anything, though, it's that nothing is certain!

64 of the 198 films seen in 2020 were repeat watches, with 6 of those repeat viewings coming on a big screen. It's interesting that although my total number of movies seen was down, this was my lowest number of repeat titles since 2016. Again, some of that is attributable to not attending festivals; the TCM Classic Film Festival in particular tends to be lopsided in favor of movies I've previously seen.

For comparison, in 2019 there were 81 repeat watches. In 2018 there were a whopping 92 repeat watches, while in 2017 there were 68 repeat films, 62 in 2016, 76 in 2015, 68 in 2014, 41 in 2013, 36 in 2012 and 2009, 15 in 2011, and only 13 in 2010.

Each hyperlinked title in this survey links to my past review. While I don't list every single movie seen or go into extensive detail in this post, it's my hope that the linked reviews will provide resources for further exploration and inspiration for future viewing.

Each linked review includes options available for watching each title, including DVD, Blu-ray, streaming, and sometimes even VHS, a format some of my readers continue to utilize, as do I!

Following my usual pattern, the next section of this post will look at some additional stats for the past year, including lists of most-seen actors. The final section of the post is a month-by-month review of additional notable titles not already mentioned.

Here's a look back at the movie viewing year which was 2020!

...I attended half of a film festival this year!  The Noir City Film Festival at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood took place in early March. My first-time watches at Noir City were the Argentinian film THE BEAST MUST DIE (1952) and the German movie THE DEVIL STRIKES AT NIGHT (1957). I also reviewed GILDA (1946) for the first time after seeing it at the fest, though I'd seen it a couple of times in the past, including a 35mm screening at the Vagabond Theater in Los Angeles when I was a teenager.

...I saw a couple more films at the festival which had been previously reviewed here, FLY-BY-NIGHT (1942) and THE LONG HAUL (1957).  The latter movie was the last film I saw in a theater in 2020.

...There were two other special screenings, NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH (1940) and LITTLE WOMEN (1933), which I saw at the Egyptian Theatre in January and February, respectively. Given how few films I saw in a theater this year due to the pandemic, I'm especially glad I was able to get up to L.A. and see those movies on the big screen; each one was a marvelous and truly memorable experience.

...In November I saw the previously mentioned drive-in movie, THE FRESHMAN (1925).  This Harold Lloyd classic was shown with live music at the Hollywood Legion Post 43's very successful new drive-in theater. I admire how places like the Hollywood Legion adapted to the pandemic by coming up with a safe way to still enjoy a big-screen experience.

...Some festivals adapted to the pandemic by going online this year.  In October I enjoyed a virtual version of the annual Lone Pine Film Festival, watching half a dozen Westerns.  I wrote about the festival in my Western RoundUp column at Classic Movie Hub.

...I also saw one film shown as part of an online festival hosted by the Attaboy Clarence podcast, THE PIED PIPER (1942).

...While commitments to covering film festivals and Blu-ray and DVD releases have forced me to cut back on my blogathon participation in recent years, I did participate in one this year. I was happy to review HELLFIRE (1949) for the Marie Windsor Blogathon hosted by Toby at 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...I saw five feature-length documentaries in 2020: LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE (2019), LAST OF THE INDEPENDENTS: DON SIEGEL AND THE MAKING OF CHARLEY VARRICK (2015), DIANA KENNEDY: NOTHING FANCY (2019), ADVENTURE THRU THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES (2020), and THE BOOKSELLERS (2019).

...I only saw seven silent films this year, the drive-in showing of THE FRESHMAN (1925); William Wyler's THE SHAKEDOWN (1929); two John Ford Westerns with Harry Carey Sr., STRAIGHT SHOOTING (1917) and HELL BENT (1918); and a very enjoyable trio of silent films starring Reginald Denny: THE RECKLESS AGE (1924), SKINNER'S DRESS SUIT (1926), and WHAT HAPPENED TO JONES? (1926). Hopefully I'll see even more silents in 2021!

...Hallmark films enjoyed in 2020: A VETERAN'S CHRISTMAS (2018), FIVE STAR CHRISTMAS (2020), CHRISTMAS BY STARLIGHT (2020), and LOVE, LIGHTS, HANUKKAH! (2020). From Lifetime I saw a film with regular Hallmark actors, SNOWED-INN CHRISTMAS (2017), and from Netflix I checked out THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES 2 (2020). I was particularly impressed by the quality of this year's Hallmark films and hope to watch even more in 2021.

...I think the worst picture I saw in 2020 was probably THE MOONLIGHTER (1953); this Barbara Stanwyck-Fred MacMurray Western was disappointing in every regard. Past "winners" in this category: HULLABALOO (1940) from my 2009 list, FORT BOWIE (1958) in 2011, INHERIT THE WIND (1960) in 2012, a tie between DAVY CROCKETT, INDIAN SCOUT (1950) and FLYING BLIND (1941) in 2013, FORT YUMA (1955) in 2014, THE ROBIN HOOD OF EL DORADO (1936) in 2015, MAKE MINE LAUGHS (1949) in 2016, DEJA VU (1985) in 2017, GOLDIE GETS ALONG (1933) in 2018, and MADAME X (1966) in 2019. Fortunately it's quite rare when I don't find at least some things in a film to enjoy!

...My most-seen actors in 2020 were John Wayne and Audie Murphy, tied at six films apiece.  (Update: A late addition to this list is a name I missed in my initial tally, Akim Tamiroff, who comes in at six films if I count an early bit role.)

...I saw Reginald Denny and Brian Donlevy in five films last year, while Tony Curtis, Gary Cooper, and Barry Sullivan were seen in four films each.

...Seen regularly in 2020, at three films apiece:  Noah Beery Jr., Turhan Bey, Walter Brennan, Jeff Chandler, Broderick Crawford, Jim Davis, Charles Drake, Cary Grant, Fred MacMurray, Joel McCrea, Alex Nicol, Robert Preston, Anthony Quinn, Spencer Tracy, and William Tracy.  William Tracy and Noah Beery Jr. ranked so high due to my watching Streamliners releases from ClassicFlix; those films also led to my most-seen actress of the year.

...My most-seen actress of 2020 is a name not many people know today, Marjorie Woodworth, who appeared in five Streamliners films seen last year.

...Right behind Woodworth, at four films each, were Joan Bennett, Deanna Durbin, Barbara Stanwyck, and Marlene Dietrich.

...Also seen regularly last year, with three films apiece: Judy Garland, Paulette Goddard, Gloria Grahame, Elyse Knox (another Streamliners regular), Angela Lansbury, and Virginia Mayo. 

...Below is a month-by-month look at some additional titles seen in 2020 which are not already listed above.

...January was a busy viewing month!  I find it somewhat amusing that my first film of 2020, seen on New Year's Day, was OUT OF THE BLUE (1947).  That title seemed to set a theme for the year which was 2020!...I enjoyed Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda in MADIGAN (1968), about New York cops...One of the films I most enjoyed in 2020 was THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S (1945), a truly lovely film starring Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman...I enjoyed revisiting Sterling Hayden and Gloria Grahame in NAKED ALIBI (1954) thanks to a new Kino Lorber Blu-ray...I had forgotten just how much fun THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (1952) is; I really enjoyed revisiting it thanks to the Warner Archive's Blu-ray release...James Millican starred in the Lippert Western RIMFIRE (1949). As it happens I just visited his burial site at Forest Lawn Glendale a few days ago...I quite enjoyed Wayne Morris and Elena Verdugo in another minor Western, THE MARKSMAN (1953)...I continued working my way through the films of both Audie Murphy and director Don Siegel with THE GUN RUNNERS (1958)...I had mixed feelings about the British crime film-domestic melodrama IT ALWAYS RAINS ON SUNDAY (1947), which had good "slice of life" moments and bits of humor yet overall was quite a dark film...PARIS AFTER DARK (1943) was a well-done French Resistance film starring George Sanders and Brenda Marshall...FINGERPRINTS DON'T LIE (1951) fell into the category of "so bad it's good," a 57-minute film which featured, among other things, an organ score, a backwards establishing shot, and a weirdly executed fall...SONG OF SCHEHERAZADE (1947) on the other hand was a real delight, a Technicolor comedy featuring the music of Rimsky-Korsakov; I called it "a rather crazy movie, but in the best possible way"...EASY TO LOVE (1934) was a delightful pre-Code bedroom farce starring Genevieve Tobin, Adolphe Menjou, and Mary Astor...THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1956) was a fact-based WWII spy thriller which was a highlight of my viewing year, starring Clifton Webb.

...February included the Western THE OUTRIDERS (1950), starring faves Joel McCrea and Barry Sullivan, along with Arlene Dahl...I returned to a favorite Preston Sturges comedy, THE GREAT MCGINTY (1940), thanks to a new Blu-ray release.  Brian Donlevy leads a top cast...Another great Blu-ray release was BLACK ANGEL (1946), a favorite film noir starring Dan Duryea and June Vincent...REAP THE WILD WIND (1942) is an imperfect film, but it's one I return to every few years, thanks in part to a great cast headed by Paulette Goddard.

...In March I revisited Doris Day, Barry Sullivan, and Frank Lovejoy in JULIE (1956). Love stewardess Doris landing the plane at the end...I saw Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds in the romantic comedy IT STARTED WITH A KISS (1959)...THE BADGE OF MARSHAL BRENNAN (1957) was a very interesting low-budget Western starring Jim Davis...I really enjoyed the "B" film SMOOTH AS SILK (1946), with Virginia Grey and Kent Taylor heading a good cast...When the pandemic shutdown hit I turned to Disney animation in the form of MELODY TIME (1948) for some great "comfort food" viewing...I also enjoyed revisiting Gary Cooper and Claudette Colbert in Lubitsch's BLUEBEARD'S EIGHTH WIFE (1938)...More "movie comfort food" came in the form of a favorite MGM musical, the colorful A DATE WITH JUDY (1948) starring Jane Powell and Elizabeth Taylor...THE FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS (1941) is a fun film starring Marlene Dietrich...Dietrich also starred in a wonderful Technicolor version of KISMET (1944), costarring Ronald Colman...I really enjoyed MAN IN THE SHADOW (1957), a melding of crime film and social drama starring Jeff Chandler and Orson Welles.

...I enjoy watching a heist film every so often, and THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (1974), seen in April, was a particularly good one.  Walter Matthau was terrific as a lieutenant on the transit police force who manages the response...LOVE IS A RACKET (1932) is a zippy pre-Code with a good cast including Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Frances Dee, and Ann Dvorak...I enjoyed revisiting James Stewart and Audie Murphy in NIGHT PASSAGE (1957) for the first time in several years...MR. DISTRICT ATTORNEY (1941) was a very enjoyable light crime film starring Dennis O'Keefe and Florence Rice...ARMY GIRL (1938), starring Preston Foster and Madge Evans, had some wonderful location shooting in the Lone Pine, California area...The Pacific Northwest Western CANYON PASSAGE (1946), starring Dana Andrews and Susan Hayward, directed by Jacques Tourneur, has become a big favorite of mine over the years...THE EAGLE'S BROOD (1935), the second Hopalong Cassidy film, was excellent...I loved watching DRAFT DAY (2014) for the second time, with Kevin Costner leading a great cast...DON'T BET ON WOMEN (1931) was a giddy pre-Code comedy with Jeanette MacDonald, Roland Young, Edmund Lowe, and Una Merkel...I revisited Fred MacMurray in the crazy comedy MURDER, HE SAYS (1945) for the first time in decades.  I still don't "get it" but I'm glad I gave it a second try...I loved revisiting STAR OF MIDNIGHT (1935) with William Powell and Ginger Rogers.

...I saw the first of a number of short "Streamliner" films in May, TANKS A MILLION (1941).  I was pleased to find it creative and engaging, with some "laugh out loud" funny moments...ALONG THE GREAT DIVIDE (1951) was a solid Western with Kirk Douglas and Virginia Mayo...ANGEL (1937) is a visually gorgeous Ernst Lubitsch film with Marlene Dietrich, Herbert Marshall, and Melvyn Douglas...The new Warner Archive Blu-ray of a favorite "noir" Western, BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948), was a big step up in terms of visuals, making the movie even more of a pleasure.  Robert Mitchum leads a top cast...Keye Luke was engaging as detective Jimmy Wong in PHANTOM OF CHINATOWN (1940) -- plus I learned all about San Francisco's Chinese Telephone Exchange!...I revisited Joel McCrea, Barbara Stanwyck, and Lloyd Nolan in the very first Dr. Kildare film, INTERNES CAN'T TAKE MONEY (1937)...THE SOUND BARRIER (1952) was a good British aviation film...I loved THE CRIMSON KIMONO (1959), a top candidate for my "favorite discoveries of 2020" list. James Shigeta was excellent as a police detective...I love Kevin Costner but had missed out on previously seeing TIN CUP (1996), which I rectified this year...THE PRICE OF FEAR (1956) wasn't an especially good crime film, but it was smoothly produced and I enjoyed it.  Merle Oberon starred...I really enjoyed Cornel Wilde in EDGE OF ETERNITY (1959) which featured great filming at the Grand Canyon...I also had a very good time revisiting Robert Montgomery in THE MYSTERY OF MR. X (1934) for the first time in a decade.

...In June there were more good discoveries, starting with an otherworldly British aviation suspense film, THE NIGHT MY NUMBER CAME UP (1955)...Geraldine Page and Glenn Ford charmed in the romantic comedy DEAR HEART (1964)...I was especially impressed by Franchot Tone in the adventure film THE LIVES OF A BENGAL LANCER (1935), which also starred Gary Cooper...The Warner Archive reconstructed RACHEL AND THE STRANGER (1948), restoring a dozen long-missing minutes, which made this excellent film even better. Loretta Young, William Holden, and Robert Mitchum starred...I have a soft spot for WHISPERING SMITH (1948), which may not be a top Western but looks great in Technicolor and stars favorite Alan Ladd...I'd forgotten just how enjoyable the Deanna Durbin film THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP (1939) was.  Absolutely loved seeing it again!...I also revisited Rex Harrison, Sandra Dee, Kay Kendall, and John Saxon in the comedy THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE (1958)...and I rewatched the interesting crime film THE SLEEPING CITY (1950), starring Richard Conte and Coleen Gray.

...July began with a very good Jean Arthur film I watched on the Criterion Channel, WHIRLPOOL (1934)...Doris Day is a joy in her film debut, ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948), which looks fantastic on Blu-ray...I absolutely loved Jon Hall and Maria Montez in the colorful ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942)...THUNDERHOOF (1948) was an interesting three-character Western starring Preston Foster, Mary Stuart, and William Bishop, directed by Phil Karlson...SUNDAY IN NEW YORK (1963) is a favorite romantic comedy which had a Blu-ray release this year...It was great to revisit one of Deanna Durbin's best films, IT STARTED WITH EVE (1941)...SON OF ALI BABA (1952), a funny and colorful adventure starring Tony Curtis, was one of my most enjoyable 2020 viewing experiences...I also loved revisiting Yvonne DeCarlo in the lighthearted BUCCANEER'S GIRL (1950)...It was great to see Mickey and Judy again in STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940), featuring Busby Berkeley numbers...I crossed another film off my Busby Berkeley list with WONDER BAR (1934)...ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES (1944) was a Jon Hall-Maria Montez adventure even more enjoyable than ARABIAN NIGHTS...THE VIRGINIAN (1946) was one of several films seen this year with Joel McCrea and Brian Donlevy...I also saw Judy and Mickey in the enjoyable GIRL CRAZY (1943), the third film of the month which had Busby Berkeley production numbers...THE DUEL AT SILVER CREEK (1952) is one of my favorite Audie Murphy films.  Murphy and costars Stephen McNally and Susan Cabot are great.

...In August I had the joy of revisiting MGM's glorious production of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (1940)...I saw Audie Murphy and Walter Matthau for the first time in the excellent RIDE A CROOKED TRAIL (1958)...FALSE COLORS (1943) was a superior Hopalong Cassidy film...IT'S TOUGH TO BE FAMOUS (1932) was another enjoyable Douglas Fairbanks Jr. pre-Code...I was pleasantly surprised by DAKOTA (1945), one of John Wayne's better 1940s films...ABANDONED (1949) is a favorite crime film, starring Gale Storm, Dennis O'Keefe, Jeff Chandler, and Raymond Burr...I enjoyed finally catching up with Diane Lane's teenaged film debut in A LITTLE ROMANCE (1979)...It was fun to see AGAINST ALL FLAGS (1952) again, starring Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara...I also saw Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn in WITHOUT LOVE (1945) for the first time in many years...NO NAME ON THE BULLET (1959) is another favorite Audie Murphy film, which deserves to be better known...THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS (1952) features a swoon-worthy romance between sea captain Gregory Peck and countess Ann Blyth...BACKLASH (1956) is a solid Western with Richard Widmark and Donna Reed...I enjoyed SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS (1955), with Tony Curtis as a young man in constant trouble with the law and George Nader as the cop who tries to help him.

...I kicked off September with PAT AND MIKE (1952), starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. I'd forgotten just how enjoyable it was and really enjoyed watching it...This was the year to check Busby Berkeley films off my list! FASHIONS OF 1934 (1934) memorably featured a "Hall of Human Harps"!...THE FEMALE ANIMAL (1958) was an enjoyable melodrama starring Hedy Lamarr and Jane Powell...I hadn't seen MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID (1952) in years. Esther Williams is tops...THE PERFECT FURLOUGH (1958) was a cute romantic comedy with Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh...Budd Boetticher's RED BALL EXPRESS (1952) was a most enjoyable WWII film, I really liked it...I hadn't seen THE RIVER (1984) since it was first released.  Some excellent stuff in this film starring Sissy Spacek and Mel Gibson, though it's rather sad...FAST AND LOOSE (1930), a pre-Code romantic comedy starring Miriam Hopkins, was a nice surprise...I crossed another unseen '40s John Wayne film off my list with IN OLD CALIFORNIA (1942)...Douglas Sirk's THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1956) was a thought-provoking domestic drama with Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, and Joan Bennett...There was more John Wayne in FLYING LEATHERNECKS (1951), also starring Robert Ryan.

...Tony Curtis was memorable as THE GREAT IMPOSTOR (1960) in October...I thought SELENA (1997) was a very well-done musical biopic...Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard were great fun in THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939)...I hadn't seen SERGEANT YORK (1941) in decades and was profoundly moved by this wonderful film starring Gary Cooper and Joan Leslie...DISPUTED PASSAGE (1939) was an interesting film starring John Howard and Dorothy Lamour.

...In November I saw another Hope-Goddard spooky comedy, THE GHOST BREAKERS (1940)...I really enjoyed George Raft and Henry Fonda in SPAWN OF THE NORTH (1938), which had a strong story and performances backed by exceptionally good special effects...Deanna Durbin shines in ONE HUNDRED MEN AND A GIRL (1937)...BIG LEAGUER (1953) was a very enjoyable baseball film about a training camp, starring Edward G. Robinson as a coach and Jeff Richards as a top prospect...The all-star mystery DEATH ON THE NILE (1978) was fun...I feel Greta Garbo's TWO-FACED WOMAN (1941) is underrated, it was thoroughly enjoyable...BIG BROWN EYES (1936) is a peppy film with Cary Grant and Joan Bennett...LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932) is a musical classic I never tire of watching...and the early Cary Grant comedy LADIES SHOULD LISTEN (1934) was a nice surprise, I enjoyed it.

...The Christmas film FEAST OF THE SEVEN FISHES (2019), set in 1983 Pennsylvania, was a nice way to start December...SEVEN SINNERS (1940) was another interesting Marlene Dietrich film...LIBELED LADY (1936) is one of my all-time favorite comedies...I watched WONDER WOMAN 1984 (2020) streaming on the HBO Max service; though it had weak aspects, I enjoyed it pretty well...I love the Christmas film IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE (1947); its warm depiction of a supportive community felt especially good to watch this year...and I ended the year on a very high note with an all-time favorite MGM musical, THE HARVEY GIRLS (1946).

...Coming soon: My annual Favorite Discoveries piece for Rupert Pupkin Speaks. I'll be adding the link here as soon as that post is up!  Update: My Favorite Discoveries of 2020 post is now up at Rupert Pupkin Speaks!

...I also anticipate my annual "year in review" movie poster video will post sometime in January.  In addition to sharing it in a post, I'll add the link here.  Update: Here is the video!

...This year I was delighted to continue contributing a monthly Westerns column at the terrific Classic Movie Hub site. An index to all of my Western RoundUp columns may be found here.  In addition to articles on a variety of topics, I also wrote longer reviews of four films: SEVEN WAYS FROM SUNDOWN (1960), FRONTIER GAMBLER (1956), THE CARIBOO TRAIL (1950), and CAN'T HELP SINGING (1944).

In closing, I'd like to thank everyone who visits this blog, both occasional visitors and regulars. Your readership, friendship, and support were particularly important and appreciated during this challenging year when so much of our lives went "online."

I wish everyone good health, happiness, and many wonderful movies in 2021!

Previously: Tonight's Movie in 2009: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2010: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2011: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2012: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2013: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2014: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2015: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2016: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2017: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2018: The Year in Review; Tonight's Movie in 2019: The Year in Review.

7 Comments:

Blogger dfordoom said...

I had forgotten just how much fun THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (1952) is

It's a total hoot.

I also loved revisiting Yvonne DeCarlo in the lighthearted BUCCANEER'S GIRL (1950)

It's a lot of fun. Any swashbuckler/adventure movie with Yvonne DeCarlo is usually worth a look. I loved her in THE DESERT HAWK as well.

6:50 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Happy New Year, Laura! Even at under 200, that's still a lot of movies!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi, dfordoom, great to hear from you. THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL and BUCCANEER'S GIRL are definitely both highly enjoyable. I also agree with you about THE DESERT HAWK; anyone curious can check out my 2014 review. Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, Deb! That's true, it was a lot! And the vast majority of titles brought me considerable viewing pleasure, for which I'm grateful, especially this year. Sending best wishes for 2021 to you and your family!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:43 AM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

What a lot of wonderful movies! I only skimmed, but spotted Whispering Smith in there and grinned. Also, you watched more John Wayne movies than I did last year! I blame The Mandalorian for that. It consumed a lot of my viewing hours.

Happy New Year!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for taking a peek, Rachel! Can never have too much Alan Ladd or John Wayne, right?

I think THE MANDALORIAN really strikes a chord with classic film fans. If you haven't yet come across it, there's a piece linked in this week's "Around the Blogosphere" about the episode they filmed at Iverson Ranch, where so many classic era films were shot...including at least one Wayne film I can think of (STAGECOACH) and probably Ladd films as well!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:43 AM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I think you're right -- the showmakers for The Mandalorian have a deep love for classic films, and it shows. Which makes those of us who also love classic film love their show!

Thanks for the tip! I missed that post (my one resolution this year is to fit blog-reading back into my schedule, but I've missed so much!) and will check it out right now.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

THE MANDALORIAN was a definite viewing highlight of a challenging year. Having that to look forward to each week -- and having it deliver so well, especially the final episode -- was a real treat. I feel that the creators respect both classic films and STAR WARS -- which makes me feel good watching it.

Best wishes,
Laura

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older