Friday, November 18, 2005

Thanksgiving Bookshelf

We have a good-sized collection of Thanksgiving books that we display atop our living room piano this week each year. One of our favorites is THE THANKSGIVING STORY by Alice Dagliesh, with pictures by Helen Sewell (linked above). The book was chosen as a Caledecott Honor Book due to its fine illustrations.

THE PILGRIMS' FIRST THANKSGIVING by Ann McGovern is another favorite. Either of the above books is a great choice for any family who wants to dig a little deeper into the meaning of the holiday this coming week.

I'm intrigued by a newly reissued picture book adaptation of a Louisa May Alcott story, AN OLD-FASHIONED THANKSGIVING. I haven't read this one yet.

For grown-ups, there is THE THANKSGIVING CEREMONY; NEW TRADITIONS FOR AMERICA'S FAMILY FEAST by Edward Bleier. This book was published in 2003 and I haven't yet read it, but I recently picked it up to enjoy this holiday season.

And for cooks, here's a beautiful-looking book that's on my wish list: THANKSGIVING ENTERTAINING from Williams-Sonoma.

Finally, if you're interested in a "visual cookbook," check out the newly produced Martha Stewart DVD, MARTHA'S CLASSIC THANKSGIVING. This is on my weekend viewing list.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Right now I'm reading "William Bradford: Plymouth's Fithful Pilgrim" and it's pretty good so far. I'm about half done. I think it's a good lead in to Bradford's own "Of Plymouth Plantation."

12:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This sounds great. I'm bookmarking the title -- I love biographies, and my visit to Plymouth and Plimoth Plantation a few years ago made a big impression. Thanks for the recommendation! Best wishes -- Laura

2:23 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Another book I enjoyed was "Stories of the Pilgrims". It was a family read aloud a few years ago and my children still talk about it.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you for the link, this is a neat website. Did you print the book from the web when you read it? A new idea for me -- looks like fun.

Happy Thanksgiving -- Laura

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older