Friday, November 18, 2005

Weekend at the Movies

Some members of our family caught the new HARRY POTTER movie tonight. They were extremely enthused and said this was by far the best film in the series, and they are hopeful Mike Newell will direct the rest of the films. I'm not a POTTER aficionado myself, but I was delighted they were so pleased with it.

Kenneth Turan of the L.A. Times agrees (above), saying "...the movies have finally gotten Harry Potter right...stirring magical adventure and engaged, edge-of-your-seat excitement."

Meanwhile I'm hoping to catch WALK THE LINE by Thanksgiving weekend at latest. It sounds terrific. Here's a review from CNN, which calls it "brilliant."

The L.A. Times liked it too.

And PRIDE AND PREJUDICE goes into wide release next week, too!

So many movies, so little time...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very brave of them to go see HP on opening weekend. I think all the showings were soldout hours in advance at the theater I was at yesterday. I'll wait till it's a little less crowded!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

It's a tradition to go on opening day (grin)...they go to a big super-duper theater which really "does up" openings of big movies -- people come in costume, etc. (Husband and I have been going there since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK opened...we figured out we were at the theater at the same time and didn't meet till two years later!) These days they can get the tickets in advance online (purchased a couple weeks ago) but they were camping out for good seats for about four hours. They order pizza from across the street, etc. A good time was had by all! :)

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine waiting in line four hours to see a movie! Pizza would not change my mind. That being said, maybe this attitude has something to do with the temperature here vs. in your neck of the woods. No--that's not it. I just wouldn't do it. (Might change my mind if the right movie comes along, but it hasn't so far so I doubt it will.)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It was in the 80s here today -- a little too warm for Thanksgiving week, even for CA!

The "line experience" is part of the whole thing that makes it fun...there's a festive party atmosphere -- at least if you do this at this particular kind of theater. It's sort of like going on a picnic with a bunch of like-minded people who are as excited as you are to see something :). I have some fun pics from openings of years past -- unfortunately forgot to send the camera with them last night!

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older