Saturday, May 19, 2007

Blogger's Autosave Eating Posts?

This week Blogger introduced an "autosave" feature, automatically backing up drafts of posts every minute or so. You can also click the "save now" button manually to save drafts.

I just concluded writing a new immigration-related post and hit "save now" to save the draft, then clicked on "edit" in order to check that all the links were good.

What I found when I clicked edit was that none of my post had been saved, other than the headline and the subject link. The entire -- lengthy -- post was completely blank.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is this a glitch related to the new automatic save feature?

I found a post by someone who had the identical experience: she had manually saved the post and it disappeared. I've also been having the problem mentioned at this site, that comments are disabled until I manually go in and correct it.

I guess from now on I'm going to copy my posts into Word until they're safely posted...

For now, I leave you with just one story, at the subject link, that President Bush removed from the pending immigration bill the provision that illegal immigrants pay their back taxes.

Read it and weep.

I'm thinking of becoming an illegal alien. It certainly seems more profitable than the old-fashioned principles of working hard, following the laws, and paying one's taxes.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Wasn't the "save" button on the left? I kept hitting the "publish" button....

Autosave! Ha! I started my post this morning twice and lost both of them... I gave up... hence the crap post...

6:15 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, they switched the locations and moved the save draft button to the right, and took off the word "draft" too..

So sorry to hear you had problems too!!!

Laura

8:30 AM  
Blogger jau said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:49 AM  
Blogger jau said...

About the aliens, I didn't realize the bill would allow them not to have to pay back taxes. Okay, that pushes me over into the dislike-the-bill group. I'd love not to pay mine too - who wouldn't? Boyoboy that's unfair. I wonder what the logic is?

About autosave problems, one sure wishes they'd get it straight!! FWIW, I always Ctrl-a and Ctrl+c before I publish or save as a draft because I've lost so many posts. It's a fairly easy habit and saves many hours of rewriting. (I do it for comments, too, because they get "eaten" sometimes, too, or garbled as this one was at first.)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the tip, Anne, that is a great idea! I will try it out.

Speaking of weird things with Blogger, if I try to use an apostrophe in this comment, a Search feature is opening and I cannot keep typing the comment...???

Laura

11:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

PS My daughter thinks the apostrophe problem is a Mozilla glitch and not related to Blogger...just FYI!

Laura

12:15 PM  
Blogger jau said...

Laura, I found that I couldn't get reliable keystrokes in Mozilla at all and have therefore returned to IE (version 7). Ctrl+f never worked, for example, which is something I often use to be sure I haven't hammered one word too often. If you have IE available, myabe see if it works better. (Apostrophes work 'fine'.)

6:50 AM  
Blogger jau said...

P.S. Of course, I'm on my own for checking comments for misspelled words and I don't always do very well. That would be "maybe".

6:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Anne, I do have IE available. I use it sometimes, maybe I should switch over to that more often!

Have a good week!
Laura

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Autosave just ate a long post I'd done on my 'other' blog as well.

I'd say I'm glad to see I'm not alone... but I'm really not glad at all, see?

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older