Friday, September 07, 2007

Child Actress Marcia Mae Jones Dies at 83

Actress Marcia Mae Jones, who played a string of notable roles as a child actress in the 1930s, has passed away at age 83.

At age 12, Jones appeared memorably as Rosalie in William Wyler's classic THESE THREE, which also starred Joel McCrea, Merle Oberon, Miriam Hopkins, and fellow child actress Bonita Granville.

Jones costarred in two of Shirley Temple's best-known movies, playing Klara, the crippled girl, in HEIDI and mean Lavinia in A LITTLE PRINCESS.

She also appeared as Mary in THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER.

Jones is one of the many actors from Hollywood's Golden Era who wasn't a household name but whose talent contributed immeasurably to many fine films.

7 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I remember her very well, especially in the two Shirley Temple movies. I loved the part where Shirley dumped the ashes all over her in A Little Princess. Classic scene.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Her obituary says she didn't like that scene because Shirley was enjoying doing it too much. :)

She was a lovely, talented girl --

Best wishes,
Laura

11:26 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Yes. I read that also :)

In reading about her performance in These Three on other web sites, I checked the library and that movie is on VHS and available and so I have requested it. I was also trying to find out what character she played on General Hospital. That is the time frame I used to watch GH and I would love to find a picture or at least the character name. But so far no success.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thanks for this notice on the passing of Marcia Mae Jones. I'm always glad when the minor actors receive some recognition on their careers.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I remembered her after you said she was in the Shirley Temple movies. I loved the ashes scene as well. A Little Princess is one of my favorite Shirley Temple movies, so I've watched Miss Jones many, many times. I never placed her as Klara, though.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I also watched GH in that time frame, Irene, and I can't remember her being on it, although a number of other actors from the classic film era were. As you may have found yourself, IMDb doesn't shed any light. If I find anything out on that I'll post it here.

I haven't seen THESE THREE for a long time but I remember it being really good. Joel McCrea is a favorite of mine.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

She was Luke and Laura's landlady. Go to YouTube and type in: Luke Laura Mrs Wilson

She is in the video "Laura returns Part 1".

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older