Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cyd Charisse Has Passed Away

The incomparable Cyd Charisse has passed away.

Depending on the reference source, she was 86 or 87 years old.

I don't mind admitting that this is a death that brought tears to my eyes, simply because she brought me so much joy as a lifelong fan of classic films.

My first great film love -- other than MARY POPPINS and THE SOUND OF MUSIC -- was MGM musicals, and Cyd starred in many of MGM's greatest. She also provided high points in many of MGM's lesser-known musicals; for instance, the best scene in Esther Williams' FIESTA was Cyd's dance with Ricardo Montalban.

She is survived by her husband of 60 years, Tony Martin (who is now 95), and two sons.

In 2006 President and Mrs. Bush presented her with the National Medal of Arts in the Oval Office. The citation reads: "An American icon, she has entertained millions throughout her career with her many stunning performances."

Cyd Charisse was a beautiful, immensely talented woman who brought happiness to millions, and the work she leaves behind has made the world a better place.

Update: The L.A. Times obituary.

Tributes at The Shelf, Libertas, Something Old, Nothing New, and Classic Ramblings.

Wednesday Update: For Fans of Cyd Charisse.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

My heart just sank. She was such a talent.

4:29 PM  
Blogger LargeBill said...

Oddly the AP article said she was married to Tony Bennett vice Tony Martin. However, the difference between blogs and mainstream news is they have editors.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Cathy, it's good to hear from you, but such sad news, isn't it? It is wonderful, though, to know she lived such a long, interesting life.

Large Bill, I noticed that same error in the AP article and tied it in with another post on the AP which I just posted: The AP Loses Their Marbles. It's been a couple hours since the obituary was first posted online and they've yet to correct it.

Best wishes,
Laura

6:07 PM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Stunned. I was absolutely stunned when I read your post. It's not that you didn't think it would happen or that she lived a long life. It's just that she was one of my absolute favorites and one of my first (and continued) "movie crush"- and to see this news was a blow that took my breath away.
Sad day.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I agree, J.C. I'm also very fond of many of Cyd's MGM contemporaries, but this one hit particularly hard. I admired her tremendously.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older