Friday, December 19, 2008

Today at Disneyland: Christmas Visit 2008

Today was our family's annual all-day Christmas visit to Disneyland, including breakfast at River Belle Terrace. As we do each year, we spent about 10 hours savoring every bit of "Disneyland Christmas." We also had our first chances to walk through the reopened Sleeping Beauty Castle and to see the after-dark light show at It's a Small World Holiday.

City Hall at Town Square:


No matter how many times we've been to the park, there's always more to see and do, especially at Christmas.

I also love that it's something the entire family enjoys doing together. It's a great place to build memories. I can't count how many times today one of us brought up the memory of something which happened on a previous visit, particularly our visits at Christmastime.

Haunted Mansion Holiday:


I've never cared for the Haunted Mansion and doubt I've been on it in the last 20 years, but the Haunted Mansion Holiday seasonal decorations make for a nice photo!

The sign at the entrance to Critter Country:


Although we've rarely chanced upon celebrities enjoying the park, today was the second time in the past month we've spotted an actor in Disneyland. Last month it was Ed Begley, Jr.; today we're pretty certain we recognized Tia Carrere, the voice of Nani in LILO AND STITCH. (She also played Jade on GENERAL HOSPITAL in the '80s.) She was speaking with a group of employees in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle, while wearing a festive Santa hat.

The Toon Town Tree:


Many Christmas items inside the park were on sale 40% and 50% off today. (I could swear the signs said 40% this morning, and 50% later in the day!) I can't recall seeing Christmas merchandise on sale at Disneyland before. Wonder if it's a reflection of flagging sales due to the economy, or just something new they're trying for other reasons.

Poinsettias near the Casey Jr. Circus Train:


A festive window at Main Street's Market House:


It's a Small World Holiday's dazzling lights:


My children enjoy snapping photos inside the park as much as I do. We had fun photographing many beautiful Christmas decorations today. I intend to share more photos from our trip over the next few days.

Merry Christmas!

Previously: 2007, 2006, and 2005.

Saturday Update: Blogger Rick Moore of Holy Coast was at Disneyland last night too -- you can see his photos here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thanks for the great shots. When I visited Disneyland it was late spring, so in my mind it is always late spring there. It's fun to see it with a different face.

By the way, have you had a chance to see the new TCM doco "Age of Believing" - on the Disney live action films? I enjoyed that. Fun to see the actors and actress who were kids in those films as adults. Nice mix of technical stuff and sharing their memories. I wish the show were longer.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Jacqueline! I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Disneyland is pretty year-round but it's spectacular at Christmas. Perhaps you'll have the chance to visit at that time of year someday in the future! I hope to post more photos later today.

I taped the AGE OF BELIEVING show and hope to see it in the next few days. It's been a hectic few days with work, the College Girl coming home (and getting ready to leave for spring semester in London in 2 weeks!), Christmas preparations and so on, so I'm really looking forward to some extended "down time" and viewing time in the near future! I was interested to read your thoughts on the show -- I'm looking forward to it.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:05 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Great shots. I'm now blocked out as of the 18th and won't make it back to the park until into the New Year when all the decorations are down. But I crammed as many days as I could in the last few weeks and got to see the fireworks 2 1/2 times (one time it was canceled half way through). I love what they have done with Small World.

It's hard to believe that from the first time I went to Disneyland on July 18, 1955 and 2006 when I became an APer I only went to the park one time at Christmas. I think it is at it's most beautiful during Christmas.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happily you're making up for lost time, Irene!

I agree the park is at its most beautiful at Christmas. We have been fortunate to visit at Christmas pretty much every year since we were married. We have had a couple friends who work there (still do!) who were able to sign us in before we became APers.

Best wishes,
Laura

2:14 PM  
Blogger Rick Moore said...

Good photos, and that's funny that we probably were standing not far from each other and didn't know it. We'll have to meet up over there sometime.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That was a fun coincidence! We'd enjoy saying hello out there sometime. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older