Monday, February 16, 2009

Tonight's Movie: I'll Get By (1951)

I'LL GET BY may not be the greatest musical ever made -- in fact, you may not have even heard of it -- but from the opening shot of Harry James playing his trumpet, it provides terrific musical entertainment. I absolutely loved it.

I'LL GET BY stars William Lundigan and Dennis Day as a pair of initially struggling music promoters and publishers, who fall in love with a team of singing sisters played by June Haver and Gloria DeHaven.

The movie's fairly thin, pleasant plot is mainly an excuse for the great music. The movie is so jam-packed with songs that I doubt more than four minutes go by between any two songs.

Some of my favorite musical moments included DeHaven and Day's "You Make Me Feel So Young" and the climactic "It's Been a Long, Long Time." The latter number is performed by the ladies in a USO show along with Dan Dailey in a cameo role.

Jeanne Crain, Victor Mature, and Reginald Gardiner also play themselves. The terrific supporting cast includes Thelma Ritter and Steve Allen.

The cast is simply delightful. Haver and DeHaven look gorgeous in Travilla gowns, along with singing and dancing beautifully. DeHaven also has some fun comedic moments and duets with Dennis Day.

I'LL GET BY was directed by Richard Sale. It was shot in Technicolor and runs 83 minutes. It's a remake of TIN PAN ALLEY (1940) which starred Alice Faye, Betty Grable, John Payne, and Jack Oakie.

This would be a great candidate for release in the Fox Marquee Musicals DVD series. In the meantime, look for it to show up on cable on Fox Movie Channel.

5 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Wish we had a Fox Movie Channel in our part of the world...

9:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I wish you did too, Mel!

The one drawback with Fox is that the selection of old films they show is extremely limited. They rerun the same titles over and over again for several weeks at a time...but if I'm lucky I find a new title or two to record each month.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:06 PM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Being a huge Jack Benny fan since I was 6 - I love Dennis Day- but I have never seen him outside of the TV show (or his many voice overs and radio appearances). I would love to see this! Many of the past Fox Marquee Musicals have been sort of lacking- so here's hoping!

6:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm sure you'd love it, J.C. In the meantime, if you haven't yet seen Dennis Day in a movie, be sure to check out THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, a good musical which is out on DVD.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like that one a lot as well. I've always been a big June Haver fan.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older