Sunday, March 01, 2009

Turner Classic Movies: Ronald Reagan Month

March should be an interesting month on Turner Classic Movies, as the station is highlighting the films of Ronald Reagan.

Until recently I think I'd only seen him in the 1942 classic KINGS ROW, which airs March 18th. I thus didn't have any impressions of his acting beyond that, and was completely delighted with the charming actor I discovered in THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE (1947). The latter film is also being shown on March 18th, under its alternate title ONE FOR THE BOOK. I highly recommend this wonderful film, which costars Eleanor Parker.

My father has recently been viewing the Ronald Reagan Signature Collection DVDs and has been similarly impressed with Reagan's work in films like THE HASTY HEART, THE WINNING TEAM, and STORM WARNING, which unfortunately aren't scheduled to air this month. Interested viewers may want to check these out via Netflix or elsewhere.

I'm currently watching Reagan's 1949 comedy JOHN LOVES MARY (airing March 18th), which will most likely be reviewed here later this evening. (Update: here is the review.)

Some of the month's highlights: March 4th includes a series of "B" movies about the Secret Service, ANGELS WASH THEIR FACES, JUKE GIRL (costarring Ann Sheridan), and NIGHT UNTO NIGHT; March 11th, BROTHER RAT and BROTHER RAT AND A BABY; March 18th, KNUTE ROCKNE ALL-AMERICAN and DARK VICTORY; March 25th, SANTA FE TRAIL, DESPERATE JOURNEY, and HELLCATS OF THE NAVY. These are just a few of the 31 Reagan movies airing in March.

Reagan fans may enjoy reading a 2005 article John Meroney wrote about Reagan in Hollywood for National Review Online.

4 Comments:

Blogger NoirGirl said...

I'm so glad you're getting to see Ronnie's films. I've been in love with him as an actor for some time now. He was not the bad actor he was portrayed as being. All of his films are enjoyable and downright impressive. One for the Book is such a sweet film. The Hasty Heart is truly phenomenal. Ooh and Desperate Journey! That one was my brother's favorite film when we were growing up.

I was going to write a post gushing over the choice of Ronnie for Star of the Month. I think I still will. :)

3:58 AM  
Blogger David K. said...

Laura,

I try to focus my viewing on the 30's and 40's, but I really liked him in "The Killers" (1964). It is Reagan's last film, however Lee Marvin really steals this one.

It's a very engaging flick with Ronnie in his only villainous role. It isn't feel-good movie, although you probably wouldn't expect a film with the title like "The Killers" to give you the warm fuzzies.

5:10 AM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Laura- you should definately borrow your dad's RR signature collection, it is an underrated gem. Some really excellent and enjoyable films and good extras. TCM fans may also note that a new documentary will premeire in March on WB animator Chuck Jones. I've got a preview disc this past week and haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I will soon and post a preview.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Don said...

Laura: I enjoyed your 'Musings' about TCM featuring Ronald Reagan's films this month. I agree! Although, not a great actor, his movies and his major contributions to the film industry have been greatly under estimated (for obvious reasons). I look forward to seeing many of these films which I have not previously viewed. Keep up the good work!
Don

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older