Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Time Has Come To Buy An All-Region DVD Player...

...because THE YOUNG VICTORIA comes out on DVD in the UK on July 13th!

There's still no U.S. theatrical release date in sight. Perhaps it's being held for fall Oscar season?

Last month I was fortunate to see this movie -- twice! -- on British Airways; you can read my rave review here. THE YOUNG VICTORIA is one of my favorite movies of the last few years...and I would really like to watch it on a larger screen without airplane engine background noise.

I became particularly interested in an all-region player after reading a post by Leonard Maltin about a Special Edition of SLEEPING BEAUTY, my favorite Disney film, which comes with a beautiful 120-page book about the making of the movie. For unknown reasons this edition has never been released in the United States.

I've also been waiting forever for POLDARK to hit Region 1, although I have some concerns about editing mentioned in an Amazon review of POLDARK 2.

My birthday is next month so...I think it's time to take the all-region plunge!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jonas Nordin said...

All region players rock! Without one of those I wouldn't be able to enjoy the movies I love. In Sweden where I live, luckily most players are "region-free".

5:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the thumbs up, Jonas! It's been very interesting to me to learn how common all-region players are in Europe.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:41 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Many players can have their region reset to zero. It might be worth doing an Internet search to see what you can find out for your current player. Let us know how you progress.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Interesting, Missy. I never heard of that before.

Thanks for the info,
Laura

10:07 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

P.S. Don't try switching back and forth between regions...this will eventually lock it into one region. Instead, you need to see if it can be set to zero and left at zero. I have a friend that did this with his PlayStation 3 and know of others doing it with their "regular" DVD players.

Missy

10:14 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Missy, my husband did a little preliminary research and then concluded it would be easiest to just go ahead and order a multi-region player, since we have a shelf for it and the pricing was relatively reasonable ($54 + shipping). Have ordered that plus YOUNG VICTORIA so I'll be good to go in a couple weeks when it all gets here. :) Happy birthday to me! LOL.

By coincidence today my husband received a PAL DVD of the 1980 Edinburgh Military Tattoo in which he performed, so he's got something to watch on it too!

It will be interesting to be able to consider other Region 2 DVDs in the future!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:38 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Or try playing the DVD on your PC - I've had luck with playing foreign DVDs via software on the computer.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's interesting, Carrie! Thanks much for the tip. A whole new area to learn about here. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older