Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Today at Disneyland: Almost Summer

Our homeschool year is winding down this week, and we took advantage of the slower pace to spend the afternoon at Disneyland.

The park was extremely crowded for a variety of reasons, including numerous graduating middle schoolers on field trips -- our own 8th grader met up informally with several homeschooling friends herself -- and today being the last day the least expensive annual passes can be used until late summer.

Here's a shot taken along the Rivers of America to illustrate the crowds:


Despite the park being so congested, we had a great time and were able to enjoy several rides. It was a gorgeous almost-summer day, as the photos below will attest.

If you click to enlarge the next photo, you can see a bit of a bird which was sitting atop the flower basket:










This was taken near the old Fantasyland Skyway station:


Does anyone else fondly recall the days when you could go through the Matterhorn in the Sky Buckets? What a great view! Our second child was a toddler when the ride closed in the '90s. I miss the color the buckets added to Fantasyland.

I took a series of photos of the Matterhorn in honor of its Golden Anniversary. The first photo is a classic angle from the Hub...I saw several other photographers taking photos from this vantage point today.


From the area around Fantasyland's Pinocchio ride, with the Peter Pan building in the foreground:


And one more from Fantasyland, with a bit of the Mad Tea Party showing at the bottom of the photo:


I anticipate posting a few more photos from our visit tomorrow.

Hopefully we'll be back out at the park soon to see all of the new -- or rehabbed -- Summer Nightastic! entertainment.

With the school year ending later this week, I will hopefully have a little more time for blogging soon...including wrapping up my series of posts on Disneyland Paris.

Wednesday Update: Here is Part 2 of yesterday's visit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rick Moore said...

I agree with you on the Skyway buckets - I miss them. I used to take the kids when they were really small on them and we'd race my wife over to Tomorrowland as she pushed the stroller below. Great view and nice way to relax for a few minutes. I wish they still had them.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Really lovely flower pictures! Do you know what type of bird was in the first pic?

Missy

10:06 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you! I didn't get a good look at the bird; might have been some kind of sparrow.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:12 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Fun memories on the Skyway Buckets, Rick.

I also loved the way the buckets would swing around inside the station and the nice "thunk" the sky bucket doors made as the Cast Members slammed them shut and sent the buckets off on their next trip. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:17 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I can't believe it ... you and I were in the park on the same day! It was my best friends birthday and she had asked me ages ago to take her. I agree it was certainly crowded but we had a good time. We were there from around 9:30 AM until 10:30 PM. Wait until you see Dumbo fly in the new fireworks show :) I took pictures also and am going to post them on Facebook. I'm "friends" with your daughter so maybe you can see them through her.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I can't believe we were both there yesterday! I wonder if we would recognize each other? :) We were there from noon to 7:00. It hadn't occurred to me you might be there on a weekday since school's locally aren't out yet. Sounds like you got out last week maybe? Hope you had a great time with your friend! I'll be sure to ask my daughter to show me your photos.

Hopefully we'll see each other out there before too many more weeks pass!

Sure looking forward to seeing the fireworks show. Pixie Hollow looks like it's going to be neat, too, based on what we could see during the daytime.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:01 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

School was out for me last Friday. I am planning to go back to Disneyland next week and then I am blocked out the rest of the summer until the middle of August. I hope to see the Electrical Parade maybe on Wednesday and Fantasmic on Monday or Friday. Yes, I plan to "live" at the Park next week. :)

The Pixie Hallow light show at night is really nice.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

We may be at the park Monday afternoon with some homeschooling friends who will also be blocked out after next week. We have talked about making a separate trip possibly Sunday-ish to see the Electrical Parade. (Wed-Fri nights are tough as the College Girl doesn't get home from her internship till around 6:45...we'll may hold off a little bit on Fantasmic and the fireworks hoping the crowds die down a little first...)

Anyway, if our times in the park would cross next week maybe it would work out to say hello! Are you going to "camp out" a few hours in advance for Fantasmic? Maybe we can coordinate something via email. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older