Saturday, October 31, 2009

TCM Star of the Month: Grace Kelly

TCM marks the 80th anniversary of the birth of Grace Kelly by honoring her as November's Star of the Month.

TCM will show all of Kelly's films, from FOURTEEN HOURS (1951) through HIGH SOCIETY (1956). TCM is also airing a 1952 TV production starring Kelly and the interesting documentary A WEDDING IN MONACO.

On Thursday, November 5th, TCM shows FOURTEEN HOURS (1951), HIGH NOON (1952), and MOGAMBO (1953).

Kelly was nominated as Best Supporting Actress for MOGAMBO.

On Kelly's birthday, November 12th, the movies shown will be DIAL M FOR MURDER (1954), REAR WINDOW (1954), and THE COUNTRY GIRL (1954), for which Kelly won the Academy Award as Best Actress.

Slated for November 19th are GREEN FIRE (1954), THE BRIDGES AT TOKO-RI (1954), and THE KILL, which aired live when it was broadcast on TV in 1952.

GREEN FIRE, an adventure movie with Stewart Granger and Paul Douglas, has its moments but was a disappointment.

November 26th brings some of my personal Kelly favorites, TO CATCH A THIEF (1955) and HIGH SOCIETY (1956), along with THE SWAN (1956), and A WEDDING IN MONACO (1956).

Quite an amazing run of movies in a few short years!

I've seen all of Kelly's films except THE COUNTRY GIRL and THE BRIDGES AT TOKO-RI.

For more on Grace Kelly, I recommend the beautiful picture books REMEMBERING GRACE and GRACE: AN INTIMATE PORTRAIT, both by Howell Conant.

THE BRIDESMAIDS, by Grace's friend Judith Balaban Quine, is also a very good read.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

I've come back to this post to drop a thank you for reminding me of Quine's "The Bridesmaids."

I had read this book when it first came out in 1989, and was impressed with how she wove her memories into a narrative history of the decades that had passed during the course of her friendships with Grace and the other bridesmaids. Many scenes and comments stayed with me through the years, and I thought about the book from time to time.

Your mention of it made me want to visit it again, and I decided to make a point of it after the holidays when there would be more time. I scrounged up a copy and read it this past week. Again, very much impressed with her analysis of their youths against the backdrop of changing times.

I must add with a certain sense of rueful amusement that reading the book now, twenty years later, has given me as greater sense of the poignancy of the passages she relates toward the end of the book when they are entering middle age and coming to point in their lives where they are looking back, and wondering what stage is next. Her "letters" to Princess Grace after the death of her friend are particularly emotional.

I suppose it sounds silly, but I would love an update on the bridesmaids. I feel quite sentimental over the book.

Thank you again for mentioning this most interesting memoir.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jacqueline, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts after rereading the book. Like you, I read it when it first came out -- has it really been 20 years?! -- and remember it as being particularly interesting and absorbing. You are inspiring me to go back and pick it up again soon. :) Wouldn't it be nice if she published a new edition with an epilogue?

Best wishes,
Laura

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

I would love a new edition with an epilogue. I really think that in several ways, this is an important book. If you get a chance to read it again, I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

Thanks again.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older