Friday, December 04, 2009

Happy Birthday to Deanna Durbin

The one and only Deanna Durbin turns 88 years old today, December 4th.

I hope Deanna is having a marvelous day, most likely somewhere in France, where she has lived for decades. I wish there were a way to convey to her my appreciation for the joy her films have brought to my life.

In honor of the day, I'm posting links to reviews of Deanna Durbin movies. The films are listed in the order I've seen them; each review contains information on the film's availability on video or DVD:

FIRST LOVE (1939), HIS BUTLER'S SISTER (1943), NICE GIRL? (1941), FOR THE LOVE OF MARY (1948), BECAUSE OF HIM (1946), MAD ABOUT MUSIC (1938), THE AMAZING MRS. HOLLIDAY (1943), THREE SMART GIRLS (1936), THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP (1939), IT STARTED WITH EVE (1941), CAN'T HELP SINGING (1944), HERS TO HOLD (1943), and IT'S A DATE (1940).

I had never seen a Durbin film until a couple of years ago and have been making up for lost time. Favorites include IT STARTED WITH EVE, FIRST LOVE, HIS BUTLER'S SISTER, and CAN'T HELP SINGING, but I've enjoyed each and every one of her films seen to date.

I'd love others to experience the same enjoyment I've received from her films. If you're unfamiliar with Deanna's work, I highly recommend trying one out.

Update: Birthday tributes from Classic Forever and Classic Movies.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very happy 88th birthday to our precious Deanna and many more to come!!

2:36 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Thanks for the links!

3:38 AM  
Blogger Chris Cozby said...

I've loved Deanna Durbin movies for a very long time now, I think since the 1960s although it was TCM that allowed me to see them over and over again. Thanks for your site.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older