Friday, January 08, 2010

Coming to DVD: Bad Girls of Film Noir

Sony is bucking the trend to cut back on classic DVD releases with two terrific film noir sets. Bad Girls of Film Noir, Volumes 1 and 2, are due on February 12, 2010. DVD Times has a nice page describing the titles and extras.

The sets were inspired by a UCLA series on "Columbia's Noir Girls" in the fall of 2008.

Volume 1's titles are THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK (Evelyn Keyes), TWO OF A KIND (Edmond O'Brien, Lizabeth Scott), BAD FOR EACH OTHER (Lizabeth Scott, Charlton Heston), and THE GLASS WALL (Gloria Grahame).

Extras include a new interview with actress Terry Moore, who is in TWO OF A KIND, and a vintage TV show starring Janet Blair. Trailers are also included.

Volume 2 includes NIGHT EDITOR (Janis Carter, Jeff Donnell), ONE GIRL'S CONFESSION (Cleo Moore, Glenn Langan), WOMEN'S PRISON (Ida Lupino, Audrey Totter, Cleo Moore, and Jan Sterling), and OVER-EXPOSED (Cleo Moore, Richard Crenna).

Extras are trailers and a vintage TV show with Cleo Moore and Dane Clark.

There are several actors I particularly enjoy in these sets, starting with Totter, Lupino, Keyes, and Heston. Cleo Moore is a name new to me; she made 22 films between 1948 and 1957.

I've recorded THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK and WOMEN'S PRISON from Turner Classic Movies, but haven't watched them yet. I think I may be upgrading these titles to DVD as the sets look beautiful, and it's important to support classic DVD releases in the current market.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I reviewed Women's Prison sometime back on my blog as part of an Ida Lupino triple feature. The film is pure cinematic Velveeta but I enjoyed it from start to finish.

I don't have The Killer That Stalked New York (TCM ran it before I got my recorder) but I have seen it and I'd also give it a hearty thumbs-up. Evelyn Keyes is truly first-rate.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for your opinions on these films, Ivan! I headed over to your archives for the link in case others would like to read your review too.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:28 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Does that mean we can expect "Bad Boys of Film Noir" too? :0) Ok, the wise acre in me is done!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Works for me, Carrie! Especially if there are any Robert Mitchum titles involved. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older