Sunday, March 07, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

After a couple of busy weekends, it was great to spend lots of time at home this rainy Southern California weekend.

We had braised beef short ribs for dinner tonight, accompanied by buttermilk biscuits.

My favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe to date comes from THE AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN FAMILY COOKBOOK:


Click the title of this post for the recipe.

We don't use a great deal of buttermilk in our house, so I started freezing leftover cups of buttermilk in freezer bags and thawing it when I want to bake with it.

It was thus interesting to see freezing leftover buttermilk recommended as a money-saving tip in the March-April edition of Cook's Illustrated, which is put out by the same group which publishes the above-referenced cookbook.

6 Comments:

Blogger panavia999 said...

My problem is saving enough buttermilk to cook with. I don't drink regular milk, just add it to coffe and tea. But I guzzle buttermilk - I've loved it since I was a little kid. The only other people I know who drink buttermilk are the russians I work with. And we are all buttermilk snobs - it has to be cultured bulgarian for the most satisfying flavor.
Meanwhile check out this hearty corn rye biscuit:
http://charmsofdays.blogspot.com/2010/03/corn-rye-biscuits.html
I think it would also be good with buttermilk (You would have to balance the leavening with some baking soda.)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, cultured Bulgarian buttermilk! Didn't know there was such a thing available in the U.S. Fun!

I just bookmarked the recipe you linked -- that looks like a wonderful website. I love graphic arts of the '40s and '50s and will spend more time exploring that site. Thanks very much!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:06 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

Bulgarian style buttermilk is richer, creamier and tangier than ordinary buttermilk. It's to regular buttermilk what Greek yogurt is to regular yogurt. Bulgarian style buttermilk is readily available in the SF Bay Area beause it's produced by Berkeley Farms, a very popular northern California dairy. Maybe it's not so common in So. Calif. If nothing else, you can usually find Bulgarian Buttermilk at places like Whole Foods, Russian or Indian food markets.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's fascinating! I love bits of "food info" like that. I'll have to be on the lookout for Bulgarian buttermilk the next time I visit Bristol Farms.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:40 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

oh my gosh that reminds me of another great buttermilk recipe - PRALINES!
http://www.emerils.com/recipe/4815/Virginia-Hines-Buttermilk-Pralines

7:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Panavia, thank you very much for the additional link!

Ellie, thanks for that very interesting info. I'm sure everyone appreciates a useful tip!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older