Saturday, August 28, 2010

Quick Preview of TCM in December

It's only been three weeks since Turner Classic Movies posted the November schedule online, and the December schedule is already available!

The December Star of the Month is Mickey Rooney, and his month will include a 24-hour marathon of the ANDY HARDY series.

It looks like three dozen or so of Rooney's other films will be airing, including some of his best work in films like BOYS TOWN (1938), THE HUMAN COMEDY (1943), NATIONAL VELVET (1944), and THE BLACK STALLION (1979).

As far as other titles airing in December, I'm especially excited about FAMILY HONEYMOON (1949), starring Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert, which I've never seen. Paramount films are oh-so-slowly making their way to the TCM schedule, and it's happy news when one turns up.

It's also fun to see that two MR. BELVEDERE films, starring Clifton Webb, are on the schedule: MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE (1949), with Shirley Temple and Tom Drake, and MR. BELVEDERE RINGS THE BELL (1951) with Joanne Dru and Hugh Marlowe. I've seen the original film in the series, SITTING PRETTY (1948) with Maureen O'Hara and Robert Young, many times, but have never seen the sequels.

And, of course, there are lots of Christmas films on the schedule as well. New Year's Eve will be spent with Cary Grant and the Marx Brothers.

For more comments on the December schedule, check out this discussion thread at the TCM Message Boards.

I'll be taking a closer look at the December schedule around Thanksgiving. In the meantime, here are the Stars of the Month lined up for the next few months: Vivien Leigh in September, Fredric March in October, and Ava Gardner in November.

October 20th Update: FAMILY HONEYMOON has now been removed from the schedule, as occasionally happens. However, the replacement being offered is equally high on my viewing wish list: THE GILDED LILY (1935) starring Colbert, MacMurray, and Ray Milland. I'm very excited that film is coming to TCM, and hopefully it won't be long before FAMILY HONEYMOON shows up too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cliff Aliperti said...

I know these schedules sometimes have some changes when they're posted this far in advance, so this Warren William fan is crossing his fingers that they correct the December 2 schedule as currently WW is shunned yet again on his birthday.

Actually they have Upperworld airing at 5:30 pm, so they threw me a bone, but that just hurts a little more because it means they are aware. I was really hoping for one of those all-day, 6am to 8pm birthday fests, though would have been pretty happy if they did just half that.

Thanks for posting the schedule, I'd just seen November myself, and sorry for the vent in the comment!

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd overlooked FAMILY HONEYMOON when browsing through the December schedule. That sounds like a good'un!

What did catch my eye is THE SILENT CALL (1961), the final film of the still-lovely Gail Russell, airing on December 11.

I've been collecting Gail's films--THE SILENT CALL is already part of my collection, but perhaps TCM will air a better print. In any case, I'm delighted to see it on the schedule.

Thanks for this sneak preview of TCM in December, Laura! I'll be looking forward to your "closer look."

Best,
Carrie

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older