Friday, September 03, 2010

Columbia Titles Coming to DVD-R?

Over at 50 Westerns From the 50s, Toby came across the interesting rumor that Columbia titles may be coming to a "burn on demand" DVD-R program akin to the Warner Archive, Universal on Demand, and similar programs which have come into being in recent months.

There's a list of possible titles in the comments below Toby's post. Given the wealth of possibilities, the list is on the dull side, but I was intrigued by the mention of THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY OF DR. MEG LAUREL (1979), an excellent TV-movie which starred Lindsay Wagner, Jane Wyman, and Dorothy McGuire. This title is high on my wish list of TV-movies and miniseries I'd like to be able to see again.

Another memorable Wagner TV-movie, THE TWO WORLDS OF JENNIE LOGAN (1979), finally became available earlier this year thanks to an MGM on Demand DVD-R program.

I'll be watching for further news on this story.

September 12th Update: Here's the link to the new site.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robby Cress said...

I hope this rumor is true. I think the dvd-r on-demand treatment is great for film fans to get their hands on movies that would otherwise never see the light of day.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I agree, to some extent, although I'm concerned about the reliability of DVD-R's compared to pressed DVD's. My dad, for instance, cannot buy Warner Archive DVDs as several have refused to play on his DVD player, while others from Warner Archive play fine.

I also wish that simultaneously with the emergence of DVD-R programs we weren't seeing such a huge reduction of pressed DVD sets with extras for sale, but the economy and current DVD market have a lot to do with that too.

Thanks for stopping by!
Best wishes,

Laura

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older