Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tony Curtis Dies at 85

Sad news this morning: Tony Curtis has passed away at the age of 85.

Two Curtis films, THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH (1954) and OPERATION PETTICOAT (1959), are among my favorite childhood movie memories, as I watched both films on TV many times while I was growing up.

THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH, in which Curtis costarred with his beautiful then-wife Janet Leigh, improbably cast Curtis as a knight. I bought the new DVD this year, and my kids got quite a kick out of it, including Curtis's incongruous accent.

OPERATION PETTICOAT is also one of my favorite Cary Grant movies. I smile just thinking about that film, particularly Curtis's escapade with the pig.

In recent years Curtis has also become known as an artist. He has remained active with public appearances, including at the TCM Festival in Hollywood earlier this year.

Curtis has coauthored multiple books about his career, most recently his 2008 autobiography AMERICAN PRINCE: A MEMOIR.

Dear Old Hollywood has a nice story about meeting the actor in person.

A statement today from Jamie Lee Curtis: "My father leaves behind a legacy of great performances in movies and in his paintings and assemblages. He leaves behind children and their families who loved him and respected him and a wife and in-laws who were devoted to him. He also leaves behind fans all over the world. He will be greatly missed."

Friday Update: Here's info on the Turner Classic Movies tribute scheduled for October 10th.

3 Comments:

Blogger ItsNotAPlace said...

sad to hear. I will always remember him for his role in "The Great Race" as "The Great Leslie".

11:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think THE GREAT RACE was my husband's favorite Curtis movie growing up! He loves to watch that one with the kids. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

12:42 AM  
Blogger Jeannettekmr said...

Tony Curtis greatest movie was the Great Imposter

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older