Thursday, November 11, 2010

New Book: As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto

While browsing at Barnes & Noble today I came across a book which looks very interesting, AS ALWAYS, JULIA: THE LETTERS OF JULIA CHILD AND AVIS DEVOTO.

The book, edited by Joan Reardon, contains 15 years of correspondence between the two women. Their friendship began as penpals when Julia, living in Paris, wrote Avis's husband about an article he'd written and Avis answered. Avis, who lived in Massachusetts, would later play a key role in helping Julia publish MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING.

This book immediately went on my Christmas wish list. The theme of Julia and Avis's penpal relationship struck a particular chord with me as this week I am mourning the death of a dear friend who was a penpal for nearly 19 years. She was a one-of-a-kind special person I will deeply miss, and thanks to her and other close friends, I know well what wonderful friendships can develop on paper...and these days, on the computer screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older