Thursday, December 09, 2010

An American in Paris Coming to the Egyptian Theatre

The Academy Award winning MGM musical classic AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951) comes to the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood on Saturday, December 18th. The screening will be at 7:30 p.m.

It will be a very special evening, as the film's leading lady, Leslie Caron, will be appearing at the Egyptian in person. She will sign her memoir, THANK HEAVEN, at 6:30 p.m. and will discuss the film after the screening concludes.

When I was a teenager I once had the opportunity to view AN AMERICAN IN PARIS in the presence of director Vincente Minnelli. This evening promises to be equally special.

Making it even better is that it certainly makes up for the pricing of the TCM Festival being out of reach. A TCM pass which includes the opening night 60th anniversary screening of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS next spring is $500 or $600.

There are many more exciting events coming up on the Egyptian's calendar; I only wish we lived closer so that we could attend more often. Upcoming movies include a screening of THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) this Saturday night with Disney animator Glen Keane; a double bill of DIE HARD ("Ho, ho, ho!") and DIE HARD 2 on Sunday; a Preston Sturges double feature on the 15th; BEN-HUR on December 19th; and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE on December 23rd.

3 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

How I envy those of you who are within easy reach of the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood ...

I first saw this movie when I was 11 years old, back in 1951. It has been my favorite musical and Leslie Caron has had a special place in my heart ever since.

8:50 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I would so go see Ben-Hur on the big screen again, except that happens to be the day we're celebrating my nephew's birthday. Next time!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I read that BEN-HUR played for two years at the Egyptian when it first opened! My husband would like to go see it but not sure if there will be time...

Best wishes,
Laura

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older