Saturday, January 15, 2011

Actress Susannah York, 1939-2011

Sad news this evening: British actress Susannah York has died at the age of 72.

York had been battling cancer.

For those of us of a certain age, our first real awareness of Miss York was in her role as Lara, the mother of SUPERMAN (1978), one of the blockbusters of my teen years. Her role was small but memorable, as she bravely sent her infant son Kal-El away from certain death on the planet Krypton. Lara returned in SUPERMAN II (1980) to counsel her son (Christopher Reeve).

More recently, I enjoyed York very much when I saw her for the first time as JANE EYRE (1971).

In 1984 she reteamed with her JANE EYRE costar, George C. Scott, in a superb version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL; York played Mrs. Cratchit to Scott's Scrooge.

She was also in BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1969) although in that case it must be admitted that her poorly written character -- wearing a noticeably anachronistic hairstyle -- was one of the movie's weaknesses.

York's other credits included TOM JONES (1963), A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966), and THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? (1969), for which she received an Oscar nomination as Best Supporting Actress.

York appeared in TV roles as recently as last year.

Other obituaries have been published by the BBC, The Guardian, and the Daily Mail.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I especially enjoyed her as Jane Eyre and in Christmas Carol.

8:48 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

I think you and I are the same age Laura, but my first awareness of her was in Tom Jones, and Tunes of Glory. Always a pleasure to watch. I especially liked her in "A Man for All Seasons".

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older