Friday, August 19, 2011

A Weekend at the D23 Expo

Blogging will be light this weekend, as we're spending it at Disney's D23 Expo in Anaheim.

Below, from the "Carousel of Projects" Pavilion, a model of the replica of the Carthay Circle Theater which will grace the new Buena Vista Street entrance to California Adventure:


We had a great time today, including presentations on the history of the Disneyland Hotel and a terrific "Voices of Disneyland" panel. Alas, no possibility of seeing Dick Van Dyke -- he was inexplicably placed in a venue which only seated 1000. More on that later.

Below, Walt Disney's limo, displayed on the show floor:


I'll be posting Expo photos and reviews in the future! In the meantime, we had a 12-hour day at the convention today and get up and do it all again tomorrow!

Have a great weekend!

Update: A Weekend at the 2011 D23 Expo, Part One and A Weekend at the 2011 D23 Expo, Part Two.

6 Comments:

Blogger Clara Fercovic said...

Laura,

I ¡just gave you an award,

http://via-51.blogspot.com/2011/08/irresistibly-sweet-liebster-blog-awards.html

:)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

It was great running into you yesterday!!! I ran into another friend and she and I were in the standby room to see Dick Van Dyke. I thought there would be no way we'd get in - but, miracles do happen. Don't only did we get in but there were two seats about 6 rows back from the front in the center! I'll have pictures and some video up on Facebook today if you want to pop onto your daughters page :) Yesterday was my only day AND I did find the Orange Bird T-shirt up in the store by the Treasures Exhibit. All in all, a good day for me.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Robby Cress said...

Have fun at D23! Clara beat me to the punch, but I second the Liebster award for you:
http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/

12:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Clara and Robby, thank you both so much! I've tried to post thanks directly at your websites, and for some reason nothing is happening when I click the "comments" button. I enjoy visiting both your blogs on a regular basis, so your compliments mean a great deal, and I'm especially happy to know I've been able to recommend films you've enjoyed.

It was wonderful seeing you, Irene, and I'm so happy you got to see Dick Van Dyke! I'll look forward to your photos. So glad it was a successful day!

When we heard what a mob scene it was to see Van Dyke, we decided to get in line instead for the Voices of Disneyland panel. It turned out to be a blast -- it was great fun seeing the faces behind the voices we've heard all over the park. It was especially fun for us as the voice of Sallah on the Indy ride, imitating John Rhys-Davies, is a friend of my husband's from college.

There is some footage of this panel online which I recommend checking out. I especially enjoyed the man who is the voice of the Mark Twain -- he can also do a perfect imitation of Rex Allen Jr., narrator of Disney's nature movies.

I'm especially enjoying the new Disneyland Hotel book which I bought in the Treasures of the Archives store. I loved the earlier version and this book is really a terrific historical record, packed with photos, brochures, menus, you name it.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:05 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Boy, you really know how to spend a weekend!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL, thanks! It was a wonderful time being immersed in so many different aspects of Disney.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older