Friday, September 16, 2011

Coming to DVD: Design for Living (1933)

The Ernst Lubitsch pre-Code comedy DESIGN FOR LIVING (1933), which stars Gary Cooper, Fredric March, and Miriam Hopkins, will be released on DVD by the Criterion Collection on December 6, 2011.

The movie has had a previous DVD release as part of the 2005 Gary Cooper Collection.

Extras on the new Criterion release will include a commentary track, a 1964 TV production, and an interview with film historian Joseph McBride.

I saw the film in 2008, and I have to say I enjoyed it far less than I'd expected, given all the talent in front of and behind the camera. The film is beloved by many, so at some point I'll have to give it another try and see if it caught me on an "off" viewing day or my opinion holds firm.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cliff Aliperti said...

I do love this movie, but I can't see myself buying another copy. Would rather see Criterion rescue something that's never had a previous video release. Thanks for the announcement on it though, Laura. Maybe more details on the extras will eventually get me to open my wallet!

9:21 PM  
Blogger barrylane said...

The two guys, Cooper and March are miscast. Miriam Hopkins does very well, as does Edward Everett Horton. Miscasting, and the pride taken in rewriting Coward are the culprits. Nevertheless, an interesting failure.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older