Thursday, May 09, 2013

Tonight's Movie: The Fake (1953)

While on this week's visit to Arizona I had time to stream a Netflix movie on my Kindle Fire, and I chose THE FAKE, starring Dennis O'Keefe and Coleen Gray.

THE FAKE is a great example of why I enjoy checking out obscure films on Netflix and elsewhere. It's by no means a classic, but it had some unique aspects which made it most enjoyable, including the cast, setting, and musical score.

My attention was caught from the moment the opening credits began, as the film was scored with Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." The behind-the-credits action, with a train pulling in alongside a ship and the ship being unloaded, was so striking combined with the music that I immediately replayed the credits just to take it all in again before continuing on with the film.

The credits also provided the information that sequences in the movie were filmed at London's (original) Tate Gallery, now known as the Tate Britain. Having been to the Gallery, I enjoyed the movie all the more. Filming took place on the street in front of the Gallery, which hasn't changed in the last few decades, and there was quite a bit of interior filming as well.

Dennis O'Keefe stars as an American investigator on the trail of two stolen Da Vinci paintings which had been replaced by forgeries, delaying the discovery of the thefts. The investigation leads him to London's Tate Gallery, where Da Vinci's "Madonna and Child" is also at risk of being stolen.

Coleen Gray plays the American-born daughter of a down-on-his-luck British painter (John Laurie) skilled at producing duplicates of art by the Masters; she also works at the Tate, so she's caught right in the middle of the action as a possible suspect on O'Keefe's list. He's also quite attracted to her, which complicates matters.

Guy Middleton is particularly engaging as a British investigator who always seems to appear in the nick of time to help O'Keefe. The cast also includes Hugh Williams and Gerald Case.

O'Keefe seems to have followed in the footsteps of other actors known for U.S. films who worked in England in the early '50s, a list which also includes Robert Montgomery in EYE WITNESS (1950), Ray Milland in CIRCLE OF DANGER (1951), and Joel McCrea in SHOOT FIRST (1953).

THE FAKE was directed by Godfrey Grayson. Patrick Kirwan's screenplay was based on an original story by James Daplyn. It was filmed by Cedric Williams.

THE FAKE is simply a nice, cozy mystery -- "cozy" seems apt for a film set in London -- with an appealing cast in an interesting story and setting. I found it quite entertaining.

My only quibble was that the film seemed a bit truncated at a couple of spots, which is interesting given that the Netflix print is 70 minutes and IMDb lists the running time as 80 minutes. If the 80-minute version exists, I'd certainly like to see it.

As far as I've been able to discover, this film has not had a DVD or VHS release. Hopefully it will be more widely available at some point in the future, but in the meantime it can be seen by subscribers to Netflix streaming.

10 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

One to look out for. Thanks Laura.

2:42 AM  
Blogger barrylane said...

Dennis O'Keefe did two films back-to-back for Steven Pallos. This one and The Diamond Wizard. Neither successful but both more or less okay. Pictures At An Exhibition was indeed used as a jumping off point for the score but I believe a better description was to describe Mussorgsky's work as an adaptation.

11:02 AM  
Blogger redcon1 said...

The Diamond Wizard is also streaming on Netflix, as well as a few additional O'Keefe titles including Brewster's Millions and Raw Deal.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

I'm always up for O'Keefe and any mystery set in London.

3:18 PM  
Blogger john k said...

Hi Laura,
My Netflix copy of THE FAKE was also
the shorter version,I too would like to see the full length one.
Dennis O Keefe also teamed up with Coleen Gray in LAS VEGAS SHAKEDOWN which I also enjoyed.
In the UK THE FAKE played top half of a double bill with RAIDERS OF THE SEVEN SEAS...my kinda double bill.
Renown in the UK have just released two of the best British London set thrillers with American leads:
THREE STEPS TO THE GALLOWS
(aka White Fire) with Scott Brady
TIGER BY THE TAIL
(aka Cross Up) with Larry Parks.
Both of the above films were directed by John Gilling

5:43 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

What great comments, I appreciate all the info and recommendations so much!

Barryland and Redcon, I've put THE DIAMOND WIZARD in my Netflix Instant queue and hope to watch it soon.

If anyone knows where to obtain a full-length version of THE FAKE I would love that information and I'm sure some of my readers would as well.

John Knight, your recommendations are always appreciated! I'd love to track down LAS VEGAS SHAKEDOWN.

How interesting THE FAKE played with RAIDERS OF THE SEVEN SEAS. I recorded RAIDERS from TCM but haven't watched it yet.

I just bookmarked the Amazon UK links pages for the two movies you mentioned, they look like the kind of thing I would definitely enjoy. Thank you!

Best wishes,
Laura

1:27 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Just by coincidence, The Fake has just turned up on my YouTube notifications.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q6qkdTz95A
I hope to watch it tonight.
And for the record, Ray Milland had most of his career in the US, but like Anthony Hopkins and Richard Burton, he was a Welshman.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Mike,

I hope you enjoy the movie! I'd love to see a full-length 80-minute version someday if it exists; looks like this is the 70-minute-ish version I previously saw.

That's of course correct about Ray Milland, which is why I worded it the way I did, as far as "actors known for U.S. films" working in England.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Michael DARVELL said...

THE FAKE is currently on the London Live TV channel. Can't tell the length of the version as it has commercials to contend with. It is a good little mystery, however, and worthy of inclusion in the Best of the B films list in THE B-MOVIE BOOK.
Michael Darvell

7:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Michael, Thank you for sharing the info on THE FAKE airing in London for my UK readers! I agree, it's a nice film, looking forward to seeing it again at some point.

Best wishes,
Laura

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older