Sunday, June 09, 2013

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...I mentioned this in an update to my Esther Williams tribute, but it bears repeating that Turner Classic Movies will honor Williams with a 24-hour tribute starting this Thursday evening, June 13th. The complete schedule can be found here.

...I had the pleasure of meeting Carley at the TCM Classic Film Festival. She's written a lovely piece on bonding with her mother over GONE WITH THE WIND (1939), posted at The Kitty Packard Pictorial.

...Glenn Erickson just reviewed NEVER LET ME GO (1953) with Clark Gable and Gene Tierney. It was nice to read he has a "soft spot" for this film as I really enjoyed it too. He says the remastered Warner Archive release is a "near-perfect transfer."

...It's too bad I enjoyed HOLD YOUR MAN (1933) more than John did, but regardless, be sure to visit his post at Greenbriar Picture Shows which has fantastic photos of Gable and Harlow, who were seen by me last weekend in RED DUST (1932).

...KC just wrapped up coverage of the Seattle International Film Festival, where she focused on the classic films shown. You can find links to all her posts at Classic Movies. The films she saw on a big screen included Harold Lloyd's SAFETY LAST! (1923).

...Lots of interesting reviews by Colin recently at Riding the High Country, including FALLEN ANGEL (1945), TWO FLAGS WEST (1950), and THE MAN FROM THE ALAMO (1953).

...At Out of the Past, Raquel has spent a lot of time painstakingly quoting and paraphrasing recordings she made of interviews at the TCM Classic Film Festival, so those who weren't there can enjoy them too! Here she reports on Robert Osborne's interview with Ann Blyth at MILDRED PIERCE (1945).

...Royalty Watch: Princess Madeleine of Sweden married a banker from the United States this weekend. The London Daily Mail has beautiful photos of the ceremony.

...There's a biography of Maureen O'Hara coming this November from the University Press of Kentucky. The author is Aubrey Malone.

...Here's Will McKinley on Dick Powell in THANKS A MILLION (1935) at Cinema Sentries. This is a Powell film I still haven't seen, and I'm looking forward to it all the more now.

...Film historian Scott O'Brien's latest book is a biography of actress Ruth Chatterton (FEMALE). I was happy to read in an interview with the author that his next project is a biography of George Brent, who was briefly married to Chatterton.

...Attention Southern Californians: My friend Jori alerted me to the news that Norman Lloyd is lecturing at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana on Father's Day. He's a great storyteller, and it was a thrill to see him at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival.

...Our oldest daughter just moved to Studio City. I've got to try the pancakes at Du-par's (established 1938) when we go up there, it looks like a classic "retro" coffee shop. Studio City was named for the area around a Mack Sennett studio built in the late '20s.

...Notable Passing: Thanks to reader Mel for alerting me to the passing of Claramae Turner at 92. She only had one film role, but it was an important one, singing the role of Nettie in CAROUSEL (1956).

Have a great week!

7 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thank you for the link Laura. The transcriptions took a lot longer than I had expected and was difficult but in the end I'm glad I did them! I really appreciate your kind words.

And I adore that post by Carley about GWTW. Not my favorite movie but that post makes me wish I liked the movie more.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, thank you for taking the time to do that! There were some things I'd forgotten about that weren't in my notes so it was great to be reminded. :)

I think the story of GWTW's making, its history, and its impact, is as interesting as the movie! Glad you liked that post too.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:37 AM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Great news about proposed George Brent biography

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura. I owe you three thank yous for the three links - much appreciated, as always.

Colin

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the link, Laura.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're so very welcome, Colin and Will!

I'm really excited about that book, Vienna, should be a very interesting read. Good to see Brent getting some recognition and attention. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:41 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Very belated thanks for linking to my SIFF coverage Laura! It was my first time covering a festival, so it was quite exciting. I can't wait to review the O'Hara biography. I've always wanted to know more about her.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older