Friday, August 30, 2013

2013 World 3-D Film Expo Coming to Egyptian Theatre

The 2013 World 3-D Film Expo is coming to the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood starting Friday, September 6th.

The festival runs through Sunday, September 15th.

The complete schedule is on the festival website.

Nearly three dozen films will be shown at the festival, including a few titles I have previously reviewed after attending 3-D screenings. Those titles are HONDO (1953), CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954), and DIAL M FOR MURDER (1954).

Additionally, some films will be shown which I have previously reviewed via flat TV viewings; they are IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953), THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE (1953), and DANGEROUS MISSION (1954).

I especially recommend KISS ME KATE (1953) which I saw in 3-D a couple of times circa the late '70s.

I plan to attend the festival's Film Noir Night on Thursday, September 12th, which will feature INFERNO (1953) and I, THE JURY (1953). I'll also be at SECOND CHANCE (1953) on Sunday, September 15th.

INFERNO stars Robert Ryan, Rhonda Fleming, and William Lundigan. I, THE JURY is a Mike Hammer film starring Preston Foster, Peggie Castle, and Margaret Sheridan; I've never heard of the leading man, Biff Elliot. I, THE JURY was shot by John Alton (THE BIG COMBO), which is reason enough for anyone to see it!

SECOND CHANCE stars Robert Mitchum, Linda Darnell, and Jack Palance; it's the only one of the three films I'll be attending which I've previously seen. It has an aerial cable car sequence which should be a lot of fun in 3-D.

All three of the films I plan to attend will be shown in "dual 35mm" prints. Other screenings, such as HONDO and DIAL M FOR MURDER, will be in digital 3-D.

Meanwhile, Southern Californians with free time this weekend may want to purchase a day pass to the Cinecon 49 festival, also being held at the Egyptian Theatre. Cinecon runs through Labor Day.

September 5th Update: The Los Angeles Times has posted an interesting story on the Expo by Susan King.

September 8th Update: And here's Leonard Maltin on the festival.

Update: Here are my reviews of I, THE JURY (1953) and INFERNO (1953). I also had a grand time seeing SECOND CHANCE (1953)!

2 Comments:

Blogger James Corry said...

I have tickets for "Inferno" Laura.......hope I see you there!

Brad

4:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Brad, let's try to connect! That would be great. :)

Thought you moved out of state?

Please email me at the "Contact Me" link on the left margin of the blog when the time draws near, and we'll figure out how to recognize each other!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older