Friday, December 13, 2013

Today at Disneyland: Candy Canes and Caroling

We've been wanting to try one of Disneyland's giant handmade candy canes since we first saw them being made a couple of years ago. After consulting this year's candy cane schedule posted at The Disney Food Blog, I decided today was the day!

I was at the park a few minutes ahead of the 8:30 opening of the turnstiles, and as soon as I made it into the park I headed straight for the Candy Palace. There was a well-organized line, and it only took a few minutes to receive a wristband guaranteeing me a candy cane from the batch which would be ready at 9:30.

I then went to the end of Main Street and awaited the 9:00 opening "rope drop." This is what the park looks like when it's empty!


I headed for my favorite place to eat breakfast in Disneyland, River Belle Terrace:


River Belle has a great view of the Rivers of America. Here's the Mark Twain, awaiting its first passengers of the day.


Classic film fans might like to know that the Mark Twain was christened on Opening Day, July 17, 1955, by none other than Irene Dunne. She was a very appropriate choice, having starred in SHOW BOAT (1936). Here's video of her carrying out the christening, with Art Linkletter alongside her.

Then it was time to pick up the candy cane. It's huge, over a foot long and nearly an inch wide. What a beauty.


We're saving it to open when we decorate the tree tomorrow night, after our younger daughter arrives home from college.

Finally I headed over to Disney California Adventure, where I caught the Buena Vista Street Community Bell Ringers. I was delighted to realize that an old friend -- fourth from the left -- was among the singers; she sang two songs at our wedding!


It was a wonderful show and so nice to have a few minutes to catch up with my friend afterwards.

It was a wonderful morning filled with the sights and sounds of Christmas cheer. I'm looking forward to returning with our daughter in the next few days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I love to stop and listen to the Buena Vista Street Community Bell Ringers. They are all so talented and I love their selection of songs. How nice for you to see your friend. I'm so glad they brought this group back this year. We keep missing each other! I was there on Thursday :)

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older