Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Favorite Film Discoveries of 2013

2013 was a great viewing year, so I was very pleased to be able to share my "Favorite Film Discoveries of 2013" in a guest post at the blog Rupert Pupkin Speaks.

My list was posted today, and I hope you'll click over to Rupert Pupkin Speaks to check it out! There are many more interesting lists of recommendations posted there; I've been taking notes!

There was only room for so many titles on my list, but if I could add to my Favorite Discoveries list by highlighting a few additional first-time discoveries I particularly enjoyed:

THE BRASHER DOUBLOON (1947) - George Montgomery as Philip Marlowe, with some really nice atmosphere. On DVD from Fox Cinema Archives.

MOONRISE (1948) - Dane Clark and Gail Russell are haunting, with a great turn for character favorite Allyn Joslyn. It's on VHS from Republic Pictures but I was fortunate my first-time viewing was in 35mm at UCLA. This Frank Borzage film deserves to be a Criterion Collection release; I hope they're considering it.

FORT DEFIANCE (1951) - Blind rancher (Peter Graves) partners with new friend (Ben Johnson), then both must cope with return of rancher's outlaw brother (Dane Clark). On DVD from MGM.

SHACK OUT ON 101 (1955) - Frank Lovejoy undercover in a beachfront diner, along with Terry Moore, Lee Marvin and Keenan Wynn. Just plain fun! On DVD from Olive Films.

THREE STRIPES IN THE SUN (1955) - Aldo Ray is a sergeant who falls in love with a bunch of Japanese orphans and then his translator, overcoming resentment toward the Japanese while serving in Occupied Japan. On DVD from Sony Choice.

I could name more but I'll stop there! Among other things, both my guest post and the supplemental list above highlight how many interesting movies we're fortunate to have available on DVD from various sources.

A previous post by me at Rupert Pupkin Speaks: Five Underrated Comedies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Laura

I've just started viewing your site and am really enjoying it. Just want to mention that some of the films you mention in this post and at Rupert Pupkin Speaks are available on YouTube - including Moonrise, The Chase and Repeat Performance.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the feedback, Marian, I appreciate it! And thanks for pointing my readers in the direction of a way to see some of the films I've recommended.

I hope you'll continue to enjoy the blog!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older