Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shirley Temple Black, 1928-2014

Actress-Ambassador Shirley Temple Black has passed away at the age of 85.


Though Shirley Temple attained superstar status as a child star of the Depression era, I am personally especially fond of the films she did as a teenager and young woman, including SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (1944), I'LL BE SEEING YOU (1944), THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947), and John Ford's FORT APACHE (1948).


In addition to serving as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Ghana, and Czechoslavakia, Shirley Temple Black was the White House Chief of Protocol under President Ford.

I mourn the passing of a remarkable woman but celebrate her truly wonderful life.

In addition to two reviews linked above, another pair of Shirley Temple films previously reviewed here: SUSANNAH OF THE MOUNTIES (1939) and ADVENTURE IN BALTIMORE (1949).

Update: Turner Classic Movies has announced it will honor Shirley Temple Black with an eight-film tribute on Sunday, March 9th.

The titles chosen are HEIDI (1937), STOWAWAY (1934), BRIGHT EYES (1934), THE LITTLE PRINCESS (1939), I'LL BE SEEING YOU (1944), THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947), A KISS FOR CORLISS (1949), and THAT HAGEN GIRL (1947).

TCM has also released this lovely tribute video:



4 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

I cried this morning when I heard the news.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It was definitely a sad start to the day. Her work has given so many of us so much pleasure for so many years!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:27 PM  
Blogger Blake Lucas said...

Anyone looking for a tribute movie before 3/9, I would highly recommend WEE WILLIE WINKIE if you haven't seen it, lovely movie directed by John Ford said to have been a personal favorite of Temple's.

Like Laura, I find Shirley Temple quite fetching in her all too brief young woman phase--she worked with Ford again in FORT APACHE then and is decidedly one of that movie's assets.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Blake, thanks for that reminder as WEE WILLIE WINKIE is another Ford film I haven't caught up with yet. It seems that even having seen so many Ford movies, there are always more I need to see!

I'm glad to know that you also enjoyed her "older" work. She gives a moving performance in I'LL BE SEEING YOU and is so lovely and sweet in FORT APACHE.

It's interesting, my favorite Deanna Durbin movies are also those she made as a young woman.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older